How to clean plastic headlight assembly

Old 09-14-14, 04:34 AM
How to clean plastic headlight assembly

The plastic (?) headlight assemblies of my 2004 Honda Odyssey have fogged over in time. Does anyone know how to clean them... short of replacing them???

Sponsored Links
Old 09-14-14, 05:03 AM
Admin Emeritus
Old 09-14-14, 05:13 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
1st you need to determine if it's on the outside or inside of the lens. If the exterior side, buffing should clean them up but if it's 'fogged' up on the inside - they need replacing.

Old 09-14-14, 05:26 AM
Get some very fine sandpaper that can be used for wet sanding (some sandpaper isn't recommended for wet sanding). Something like 2500 grit and wet the headlight with water and wet the sandpaper and rub in circular motions and watch the magic happen. If you have a buffer you can buff them after the sanding to get rid of the very fine scratch marks, use tooth paste on the buffer...

Old 09-14-14, 08:59 AM
Thanks everyone.....I don't know which method I will use but you confirmed that it can be done....Buz

Old 09-14-14, 10:10 AM
You'll be amazed with the sandpaper method...

Old 09-14-14, 10:57 AM
Marksr has the best position. You need to know where the problem is.

I has some "fogging" on my 1999 Jimmy SLT. I discovered it was a broken seal on the assembly. I searched the internet and found a full assembly (with high/low, turn signals and driving lights) for about $40-$60 and ordered it over the internet and tossed it into the back of the car when it was delivered.

A week or so later, I took my Jimmy in for a oil change for $8.00 (he does not carry my oil in stock and told me to go to Walmart got a jug of Mobil 1 because he does that for his Corvette and wife's Blazer. I tossed the oil into my back end next to the oil.

When I went into get the oil change, he saw the assembly and just installed it at no charge. I asked if he forgot and he said he saw it and it only took a minute or so to do with the hood up. He told me I could have gone down the street a block or so to the local warehouse and avoid the time for something easy and simple.

Dick

Old 09-16-14, 04:23 AM
Group Moderator
I bought a kit a while back, made by Turtle Wax, for doing the beacons on the wrecker. It includes two little foam-backed sanding pads with 4 sanding grits (2 per side of each disk). Also has a lubricant and a liquid polishing compound. As mentioned by others, the very fine sanding grits really work well provided, of course, that the weathering is on the outside.

Turtle Wax Headight Lens Restorer - YouTube

Old 09-24-14, 04:36 PM
Old 09-24-14, 05:27 PM
Super Moderator
Total BS Edsport. You can use WD-40 or PAM and it will so the same thing for a week or so.

Old 09-25-14, 02:32 AM
I haven't tried it so i don't know how well it works. I did use the fine grit sandpaper though and it works wonders. Here's another...
https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=4683384259581

Old 10-01-14, 01:44 PM
I don't know if anything will prevent older headlights from yellowing- I think that's just the nature of clear plastic.

The haze can be removed with polish, but unless you "seal" the surface it will just come back in a month or so.

On my old Thunderbird I wet sanded and polished out the lights and applied a few coats of clear lacquer. The lights still yellowed some after a year or so, but overall they stayed pretty clear. Automotive-grade clearcoat would be the best bet, as spray can paints really aren't durable enough.

Old 10-01-14, 02:48 PM
Super Moderator
They make specific sealers, normally included in the better kits, that are better than just a clear coat. They are more UV resistant, which is mostly what causes the clouding and yellowing.

Some of the problem is the heat from the newer halogen bulbs as well. I guess they never took that into account in the design process.

Old 10-02-14, 04:53 AM
Group Moderator
Another point that should be made is that there are some pretty low-cost replacement headlight assemblies out there that will take you back to oem clarity. We're talking less than $50 each. Higher quality (supposedly) ones for under $100 each. Amazon, among lots of others, carries them.

Old 10-02-14, 06:57 AM
Super Moderator
Yeah, if you can find 'em. And if you want to go to all the work of replacing them. Not available for my Suzuki (how did I know they were only going produce it for 2 yrs?) and replacing on the Tribute meant loosening both inner fender liners and removing the front lower bumper cover and taking out the grill. Oh my aching knees!

Did do wonders for the looks and night driving though!

Old 10-02-14, 07:37 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
A lot depends on the vehicle. The lights on my wife's merc were easy/quick to replace but they were $110 each. I bought my stepson new lights for his jeep [for Christmas] and it was only a little over $60 for the pair. A lot also depends on how packed everything is under the hood. My wife used to have an oldsmobile that I had to loosen both fenders and pull them out an inch or so to replace the radiator

Old 10-02-14, 10:40 AM
Has anyone replaced the actual lens on a fogged/yellowed headlight? My '04 G35 has a new headlight on the driver's side (replaced after accident) and the original on the passenger's side, so it looks pretty bad. I'm trying to sell the car in a few weeks so I'd like to do something about it. A replaced Xenon headlight costs $425 and the non-xenon is $120, so I was thinking of buying the non-Xenon light and removing the lens using a hair dryer or heat gun (or oven?) and simply swapping the old lens out. Or maybe restoring the headlight makes more sense since I'm selling it. And why the hell are the xenon headlamps for the 2004 $425 each whereas the '05 and '06 are only $100 each!?

Search this Thread