Headlamp moisture ib '05 Equinox

Old 09-14-14, 09:00 AM
Headlamp moisture ib '05 Equinox

Like I suspect with all older Chevy Equinox SUV's the seals between the lens and housing are leaking causing the inside back of the lens to constantly have condensation. This problem I am guessing can happen with other vehicles also. I don't want to replace the headlamp assemblies due to cost considering the vehicle is 10 years old and has some miles on it. Has anyone been successful in reducing this kind of condensation on the inside of headlamps perhaps by adding ventilation holes, and if so where, or would that make the problem worse? The overall clarity of the lens on the outside is still OK though I have used products to keep them clear. This now is more of a cosmetic issue but I would appreciate any suggestions.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-14-14, 09:32 AM
Super Moderator
If you drill holes in the lens, it will rapidly cloud the lens and reflector with dust and such and in a rain storm, would drive water in, possibly shattering the bulbs.

Maybe if you could get to the top and bottom of the housings and drill them in a protected area it would work better, but you'll still have condensation/dust issues.

Old 09-14-14, 02:03 PM
I successfully drilled holes on some cars.
I NOT successfully drilled holes on some cars.
I guess, it's a toss. It appear to be working on cars older than yours, but not so well on younger ones.
Headlight assy is not that expensive. Last year we bought one for 08 Mazdaspeed, a car that had RIDICULOUS prices on ANYTHING you touch for it, for $160. I wouldn't call that expensive. Talk to Certifit.

96 bucks? THAT is expensive?

2010 Chevrolet Equinox new-aftermarket-driver-side-head-lamp-assembly-gm2502352

Old 09-14-14, 07:19 PM
Thanks ukrbyk, and also to you Vic. The lamp assemblies are a lot cheaper than I was expecting. It does makes sense to just replace them rather than to try drilling the bottoms and having more issues or heating them up to separate the lens and then using silicone. For $200 I will get all new and be done with it.

Old 09-15-14, 08:28 AM
Super Moderator
Well, I don't know why the link was to a 2010 if you have a 2005. For whatever reason, the 2005 is about $150 vs the $96. That was about the lowest price I found on a couple of other sites as well.

Old 09-15-14, 01:00 PM
Vic, I noticed that price difference also. I did some more checking and the lowest I found for a pair was at 1A Auto around $250. I would have thought the newer ones would cost more than for a 10 year old vehicle. Not the case obviously. I still may buy the pair, but am tempted to pull them out and heat them up in the oven and see if I can separate the lens and reseal with silicone. I just spent on buying new front pads and having the rotors resurfaced, and had to replace the rear wheel cylinders as well. That said I better discuss with the owner of the oven first or the headlamps could be the least of my problems. I sometimes miss the old 'sealed beams'.

Old 09-15-14, 01:43 PM
Super Moderator
I've dealt with discountcarlights.com and looks like yours would be $236 for the set with shipping it's $245. I think that includes new bulbs as well, mine did anyway. If so, thats about $15 right there.

Yeah, the prices really are kind of weird. I bought a set for my 2001 Mazda Tribute (since sold) in the spring of 2013 or maybe fall of 2012 and I know I paid about $140 for the set. It was something like $80 or so apiece otherwise, just made sense to replace both. I just looked at them again. Now $106 for the set or $55 each. Very odd. I guess once the orders drop off a lot, they clearance them out or something.

I'm sure they sold more Equinox's than Tributes, so they probably have higher demand for them.