2006 Chevy Cobalt Turn indicator control switch & Key left in ignition warning

Old 09-17-14, 11:42 AM
2006 Chevy Cobalt Turn indicator control switch & Key left in ignition warning

Hi everyone,
I came into a 2006 Chevy Cobalt my son left home when he went to College. He had just had the ignition switch replaced under recall and the first two things I noticed was that when making either a Left or Right turn that the turn indicator on the steering column does not click off after the turn is completed - you have to manually knock it down or lift it up depending on the turn... The other thing is, ordinarily when you leave your keys in the ignition and you go to leave the car - as soon as you open the door to leave, a warning bell starts and doesn't quit until you remove your key or turn off the lights. In son's car, whether you leave the key in or not, it's start's beeping at you and doesn't quit until you close the door... although the next time I open the door, it isn't beeping at that point, so it must time out after awhile

I asked son about both and he said the turn indicator was like that before the recall fix; I don't know about the other situation about the key-left-in-ignition bell continuing to beep.

What I wanted to find out, if the turn indicator reset-switch needs replaced, is that a DYI project and if the warning bell isn't a easy fix - How to disconnect the bell?
Thanks,
greynold99

Sponsored Links
Old 09-17-14, 06:24 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Just got a 06 cobalt for my daughter. Same issue with the turn signal. Tried the YouTube fix to get the turn signal working again, no help. New unit is around $50 and the replacement is definitely DIY if you follow the videos on line. I haven't ordered the replacement switch as of yet, assume it will work when replaced.

Old 09-30-14, 07:50 AM
Update on Bell dinging continuously when door open & key out of ignition

Just discovered while working on the Cobalt this weekend that the door bell on the ignition key left in ignition interlock doesn't sound when the key is actually left in the ignition while exiting the car...

Sounds like when ignition switch was replaced they simply reversed wired the door/ignition cylinder warning bell interlock - now I need to find out where that is so I can fix both issues at the same time.

greynold99

Old 09-30-14, 07:37 PM
If there is any possible issue around the ignition switch I am pretty sure that a complaint these days would get strong attention from either a dealer or a zone rep. GM is eating humble pie around what has happened through incompetant performance of some of their employees and all of the bad press around it and their new CEO isn't fooling around with customer complaints these days around those cars affected. I would bring the car back to the dealer and go from there and if any of the problem is ignition recall related, or seems that it might be you should expect to receive a good response at least.

Old 09-30-14, 08:20 PM
Old 10-01-14, 08:30 AM
Reply to recent updates

Thanks for your insights and the How-To link is great...

Last night I discovered something new with the Turn Signal switch - I went to park by backing in - accidentally hitting the turn signal arm and by goodness, the dog gone thing worked going backwards - as I heard the 'clicking' sound when I straightened up the steering wheel.
It still doesn't work going forwards but for the life of me, I can't see a legitimate explanation for why it would make any difference going forward or backwards since the direction of movement has absolutely nothing to do with the turn signal control arm...

The only problem with getting the ignition switch and bell connection straightened out by the original GM dealer who did the recall is son was living 50 miles away when he took it in.. and that's too much trouble to take a day off to do. That's why I was hoping it might be easily fixable by simply reversing a connector or switch when I work on the turn signal control switch.

greynold99

Old 10-01-14, 03:38 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The electrical component plugs on the turn signal were both unique in size and uni-directional. Meaning there was not anyway to plug them in backwards. The ignition switch was a recall issue, should not matter who does the work. But I'm sure the local Chevy techs are now experts on the ignition switch and could tell you if your scenario is possible from something they did.

The turn signal thing was poor design and uses a straight piece of metal as a spring. The metal fatigues and the tension is reduced on the gears within the body. There is an internet video that claims a quick fix by flipping the spring around to increase tension. I tried it and it did not work, you might have better luck. I researched a new turn signal from a local parts store and it is less than $50 so I am ordering a new one. Less than 1 hour to change out.