vehicle problem

Old 10-02-14, 10:23 AM
vehicle problem

My '99 Chrysler Town & Country 3.8L started jerking while driving...and revving. Then just stopped driving...forward and reverse. Does anyone have advice on how to proceed? Thanks!!

Sponsored Links
Old 10-02-14, 10:35 AM
By "stopped driving" do you mean the engine cut off or does the engine still run and the car won't move? If the engine cuts off, then my first guess would be camshaft or crank position sensor(s), MAF sensor, throttle position sensor, or faulty fuel injector. If the engine is running but the car won't move, then sounds transmission related. How many miles on the vehicle? Is the check engine light illuminated?

Old 10-02-14, 12:27 PM
Thanks for the thoughts. It still runs. Will not move in any gear/direction. No longer revs. I was afraid it was transmission. Just needed another opinion/insight. 150,000 miles. Just don't want to dump a bunch of $$ into a situation that's not worth it.

Old 10-02-14, 04:02 PM
Transmission gone boink. .....................

Old 10-02-14, 04:29 PM
Could be the torque converter or maybe the shifter linkage came loose. Is there any resistance in the gear selector? Any sounds? I wouldn't go spending money on a new tranny until you find out for sure.

Old 10-02-14, 07:47 PM
No resistance...no sounds when shifting. Nothing happening anymore.

Old 10-02-14, 08:01 PM
Just like my Sable. Was driving down the road then - boom, nothing. $800, rebuilt trannie, 2 days and 3 guys in a shad, 2 24 packs of beer.

Old 10-03-14, 04:24 AM
Check your linkage first. Maybe it came loose. Look for something similar to this. If you're lucky, maybe something just broke loose. https://www.google.com/search?q=chry...ed=0CAcQ_AUoAg

Old 10-03-14, 07:50 AM
Check your linkage first. Maybe it came loose. Look for something similar to this. If you're lucky, maybe something just broke loose.
But would that account for why the engine won't rev?

Will not move in any gear/direction. No longer revs.

Old 10-03-14, 08:31 AM
Can you be more specific? You can't rev the engine with the transmission in park or neutral, or not at all regardless of gear selector position? Does the engine die when you press the accelerator? It almost sounds like the torque converter is locked up and won't release. Maybe a bad solenoid? I'm no expert, but what I'm trying to say is I wouldn't go replacing the entire transmission just yet. If everything seemed fine a couple days ago then all of the sudden things went awry, I would suspect something more minor is causing your problems.

Old 10-03-14, 10:58 AM
Take it to a mechanic (make that 2 mechanics) and get an estimate on repairs.

Search this Thread