2005 Buick Speedometer Problems

Old 10-09-14, 02:40 AM
2005 Buick Speedometer Problems

I have a 2005 Buick LeSabre and the speedometer has stopped working. It had been acting up for the past few months as in not registering the correct speed. Now the needle doesn't move.

The "heads-up-display" works fine and the cruise control does also.

Could it be just the speed sensor that screws into the transmission or could it be something major?

Any ideas?

Thanks for your input....

Mike

Sponsored Links
Old 10-11-14, 01:49 AM
As a follow up to my post, the odometer still works fine. The speedometer on the dash just doesn't register the speed. All other gauges work fine also.

Old 10-11-14, 05:08 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I don't know anything about the modern day speedometers but on the old ones, the odometer and speedo where driven off of the same cable. I'm sure yours is electronic but if they run off of the same wire - I'd think that maybe the needle has come loose. I know it's difficult to really eyeball where the needle attaches while you are driving but have you noticed any movement?

Old 10-11-14, 08:51 AM
He has electric motor moving needle of some kind. If HUD shows speed, then sensor is working and sending signal to ECM. ECM processes it and sends it to electronic display and HUD.
It's likely in cluster issue, like motor or handle. Problem is that speed may be also read from a GPS unit or from ABS sensors. Even from any sensor telling ECM RPMs as then ECM can easily calculate speed based on RPMs and the rest of parameters - gear transmission is in and tire size.
All I know is that GM had continuous issues with their instrument clusters.

Old 10-11-14, 09:04 AM
Group Moderator
All I know is that GM had continuous issues with their instrument clusters.
GM has had many motor failures in their clusters. There are places that rebuild those clusters. The speedometer repair won't be a DIY job.

Here in NJ... the place I go to charges 175-200 to rebuild the cluster.

Old 10-11-14, 04:19 PM
Yeah, and you can't just buy any matching cluster and replace it, say - off scrap yard. They are VIN specific and many folks burnt themselves trying to do that.