Dash Lights Out

Old 10-10-14, 07:03 PM
Dash Lights Out

I posted a thread a few weeks ago on this problem. I have a 99 Olds Regency with 75000 miles that I cannot see the speedometer reading at night due to one or more burned out bulbs. Someone said it might be a circuit board, but the guy at Autozone said there are 4 of one bulb and one of another in that area. I went to the library to get a Motor Repair manual but although it gives instructions for removing the dash, it has no diagram to match to the instructions for taking the listed parts off, nor does it say in the instructions at what point these small bulbs become accessable. Without listing the myraid of steps and items that need to be taken out and moved, I can only see 3 phillips head screws on top the the dash facing the driver. Does anyone have a photo of this dash broken out into trim plates, trim pads, passenger inflator modules etc so I know what to look for on this mission?

Thanks!
WML13

Sponsored Links
Old 10-10-14, 08:50 PM
normally if your dash is out your tail lights are out. have you checked all your fuses? this normally happens after a radio install if installed incorrectly.

Old 10-10-14, 10:01 PM
Group Moderator
I've changed bulbs in many instrument clusters. Some are easy to get out and some are dogs.
Most instrument clusters are held in the same way but there are different ways to get to it.

I would highly recommend registering at autozone.com. It's free and they don't kill you with ads.
After you register fill out the "my vehicle" section right on the homepage.
Go to "repair help"
Go to "select a category"
Go to "vehicle repair guides"
Go to "chassis electrical"
Go to "instrument and switches"
Go to "instrument cluster"

They have a detailed thread complete with pictures on how to remove the cluster.
Once the cluster is out you flip it over to the back and you'll see the twist out light sockets.
The bulbs you'll need are 194 wedge lamps.

The autozone method looks confusing but it's really easy to navigate. You can always ask any further questions right here.

Old 10-11-14, 06:23 PM
Dash lights out

Great, I will register with Autozone. Thanks for the information!

WML13

Old 10-13-14, 10:27 AM
Just make sure that you change all of the bulbs while you're in there (test their operation, if possible, before you button it up). Also be sure that you use good quality bulbs (such as Philips, etc).

Old 11-27-14, 08:43 AM
1999 Olds Regency Dash Lights Out

As suggested from a previous post, I downloaded the steps for removing the Insturment Cluster for my 1999 Olds Delta 88 regency model. The first step in the process is to remove the "fasteners" holding the "instrument panel molding" and then remove the molding. I cannot see any screws or other type of fastener holding this molding (which is plastic, and goes from one side of the dash all the way to the other side. I need to hear from somebody else first before I start prying on this molding. Thanks in advance for any help here

WML13

Old 11-27-14, 10:35 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
If all of them are out I'd be looking to the dash light fuse first.

Old 11-27-14, 12:06 PM
Group Moderator
A few pictures of your dashboard are needed for precise help.

http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...rt-images.html

Old 11-28-14, 09:09 AM
Dash Lights Out

All of the dash lights are not out, I can see the gear shift position and the radio, heater back lights. From the diagram, it appears there are two or 3 lights in the upper back of the cluster that illuminate the speedometer and tach that are out. I will take a picture of the dash, but this simulated wood (plastic) panel molding is at the very top of the first figure of the "Autozone steps for "removal of the cluster for a 1994 to 1999 Olds" It goes completely accross the figure at the top. It is about 1" wide and about 4 feet long. I just cant see any fasteners that hold it, at least from the front.

Old 11-28-14, 03:41 PM
Name:  99 Olds Regency Dash Photos 001.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  19.9 KBName:  99 Olds Regency Dash Photos 002.jpg
Views: 97
Size:  29.5 KB If you can see these, the brown woodgrain is the panel molding that needs to be removed.

Old 11-28-14, 03:47 PM
Name:  99 Olds Regency Dash Photos 003.jpg
Views: 97
Size:  15.5 KB this is photo #3

Old 11-28-14, 08:36 PM
Group Moderator
That wood grain piece is snapped in place. Try removing it carefully from one end at a time.

Old 11-29-14, 08:06 AM
That was the only solution that made sense to me from the look of it. I will keep you posted. I am sure there are a few more snags coming my way on this project!

Thanks for the reply!
WML13

Old 11-29-14, 09:22 AM
Someone didn't turn the dashlight dimmer control to "off" by any chance did they?

Old 11-30-14, 08:30 AM
Hmmmm. Maybe by accident. I will check!

Old 11-30-14, 08:51 AM
Group Moderator
If you turn the dimmer down all the way and you turn the parking/headlights on.... none of the bulbs or areas will light up.... not just some of the areas.

Old 12-01-14, 08:12 AM
I checked and determined that the dimmer will dim and brighten SOME of the lights but not the bulb I really need. (Speedometer) That one just won't light up somewhere along the line I figured out that ALL of the bulbs could not be bad all at once, unless it was a major meltdown of a fuse or something. I am back to uncovering the cluster and changing the bulbs woo hoo.

Thanks for the replies!

Old 12-13-14, 03:40 PM
Dash Lights Out

Does the Defroster Panel on top of the dash snap out as well? No visible fasters here and it is my next step in the process, too hard to find parts, don't want to break anything!

Old 12-13-14, 08:18 PM
Group Moderator
If you are talking about the grill down by the windshield..... some are just clips and some have screws. Usually you can look into the grill from outside the windshield to look for screws.

If no screw heads aren't visible.... the grill will snap out.

Old 12-15-14, 07:49 AM
Olds Dash Lights out

Thanks Pete!

Happy Hollidays to you!

Search this Thread