Power Seat Switch Malfunctioning

Old 10-12-14, 05:03 PM
Power Seat Switch Malfunctioning

One of the switches on the driver's side seat of my Infiniti G35 is working intermittently in one direction. It moves the seat back consistently but forward is intermittent. I dont see any easy way to remove the switch assembly without removing the seat, which I'd rather not do if I can help it. Assuming the switch contacts are dirty, I was thinking of spraying some contact cleaner around the switch in hopes that some of it seeps through and makes it to the metal contacts. Maybe I'll get lucky.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-12-14, 05:14 PM
Turns out the switch is fine. I am consistently getting 11.9V in each direction. I guess the motor is the issue. I would think if the motor works in one direction that it would also work in the reverse direction, but it does not. I removed the motor from the seat and it behaves the same with no load. It turns in one direction just fine, but just clicks in the other. Next step is to disassemble the motor housing and have a look see. BTW, the motor has only two wires so reversing direction is simply a matter of reversing polarity.

Last edited by mossman; 10-12-14 at 06:37 PM.
Old 10-12-14, 07:27 PM
Group Moderator
BTW, the motor has only two wires so reversing direction is simply a matter of reversing polarity.
That is correct. It's a DC brush type motor. You may find an issue with either the brushes or an arced commutator where the brushes contact.

Old 10-13-14, 07:55 AM
I just took the motor apart and everything looked fine. There was some carbon buildup on the commutators so I cleaned it off and reassembled everything. I decided to check the switch again and connected the motor using two lengths of wire. When I reversed the wires the motor would cease to turn in the opposite direction. When I switched the wires again, it would now move in that direction but not in the other. SO, turns out ut is the switch causing the issue. Im back to considering spraying the outside if the switch with contact cleaner in hopes that it will make its way inside and clean the contacts.

Last edited by mossman; 10-13-14 at 08:15 AM.
Old 10-13-14, 09:26 AM
I used a combination of compressed air and contact cleaner and thw switch is working better now. Not 100%, but much better.

Old 10-13-14, 09:30 AM
You said that it had 11.9V in both directions but you didn't say it changed polarity.

I'm a retired electronics tech and years ago when I had to clean a switch/control that was basically sealed I drilled a small (1/16") hole into the case and sprayed contact cleaner through the hole.
Just drill to penetrate the case and not into the mechanism itself .. be careful.
FWIW .. WD-40 works as good as anything (almost) to clean switches & controls.
Good luck.

Old 10-13-14, 05:00 PM
I thought contact cleaner would be better because it doesn't leave behind a greasy residue like WD-40 does, and I'm hesitant to drill a hole because I'm about to sell the car. I think I would remove the seat before I did that.

Old 10-13-14, 06:19 PM
Group Moderator
Try spraying thru the switch or at the back by the contacts. Shouldn't need much to clean.

Old 10-15-14, 12:28 PM
There is hardly any clearance between the switch and the housing so it's proving difficult. I'm tempted to keep saturating the switch and letting the contact cleaner work its way in. It is getting better.