Ford Escape wheel bearing

Old 10-15-14, 05:51 AM
Ford Escape wheel bearing

2012 FWD.

I'm getting a howl at highway speeds. Called the dealer (still under warranty) to schedule an appointment. He said "It's tires. They all do that."

My tires are in very good shape, maybe slight wear on the inner edge. I'm going to rotate and see if anything changes.

Question is: Do "they all do that"? Any history of bearing noise?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-15-14, 06:39 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I don't know that I've ever heard a wheel bearing howl and dependent on tread design/wear - tires can be noisy. I'd jack it up and rotate the tire to see if it rotates smooth/quiet and check for any play. You can also touch the hub after you get done driving to see if it's gotten hot.

Old 10-15-14, 06:56 AM
'Will do.

(These are the original Michelins that came on the car. Quiet at mile 1.)

Old 10-15-14, 09:12 AM
Super Moderator
New tires are almost always quiet, but can get noisy as they wear. How many miles? I had SUV style aggressive tread (not standard all-season) on my Mazda Tribute and they got pretty noisy after just 20-25K miles compared to new.

Tire noise would change depending on road surface as well. If you could find 3 different road surfaces (esp if one is freshly paved with the quiet asphalt) and the noise never changes, I'd suspect something in the drive train like a bearing or CV joint.

Search this Thread