97 Ford Taurus 3.0L

Old 10-23-14, 02:22 PM
97 Ford Taurus 3.0L

After filling my car up with gas and additech millage booster at walmart I started out of town. At five miles out of town my rpms started to spike but my speed was decreasing. The car died and when started again a loud pop was heard and the car died and would not start again. The engine will turn over but wont start. Checked for spark and have that checked for water in oil and there is none. Checked to see if getting gas to spark plugs (only 2 plugs) and one is getting gas but the other does not seem to be getting any. Is it possible that my cam shaft synchronizer is the pop I heard? If not then are there any suggestions to try to get my only vehicle running again?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-25-14, 12:06 AM
You have either the Duratec 3l or Vulcan 3l ; probably the Vulcan, a pushrod engine. Which do you have? (The intake manifold tubes, looking from the driver's seat, form lines, one set of which could be a V; on the Duratec, a D, if you want a memorable method of distinguishing).
Why do you say "(only 2 plugs)"? Do you mean you only tested 2?
How did you test for "getting gas"?

If you are definitely getting spark, try squirting starter fluid (diethyl ether) in the air intake. Check if the engine fires a bit on that.

Old 10-25-14, 05:27 AM
Group Moderator
Carb cleaner is a better agent to use than ether; less chance of an explosive reaction.

Old 10-25-14, 03:20 PM
Mr. Sergheyev first of all let me say how much I appreciate you replying to my issue. You were absolutely right about it being a Vulcan engine. I went to the store and bought some starting fluid and had my father spray it in the throttle body while I turned the ignition over and held down the gas peddle. With no change in the turn over process. I had only checked two of the spark plugs and upon your suggestion I went ahead and started to check the rest I did not get to any more than one more. As soon as I pulled the front passenger side spark plug water came spilling out. I am guessing that I will be afoot for awhile but I want to thank you so much for your help. It was invaluable to figuring out what was wrong.

Old 11-03-14, 06:05 PM
[ATTACH=CONFIG]41150[/ATTACH]
I pulled the front passenger side spark plug water came spilling out. I am guessing that I will be afoot for awhile
To get the nomenclature down, do you mean the #1 cylinder?
There are 2 routes for coolant to get into a cylinder. The head gasket could be blown or the head could be cracked. [ATTACH=CONFIG]41151[/ATTACH].
Fortunately, you have a common engine, and plenty of people will help. Register at all the Taurus/Sable/Ford forums.

Attached Images