'06 Neon refuses to start...

Old 10-24-14, 07:09 AM
'06 Neon refuses to start...

My daughter's '06 neon refuses to start.

She drove it to my house with no problems, but when she went to leave, the engine would turn over, but would not catch. I tried boosting it, but still no go.

When I engage the starter, the speedo and tach go crazy, maxing out then fluctuating up and down.

As a tow from my house to the nearest garage would be $150. (which is $140. more than my daughter has), is there anything I can try or check to see what the problem is? Assume I have little electro/mechanical knowledge and you won't be far off.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-24-14, 07:28 AM
Group Moderator
Is the check engine light illuminated?

Try disconnecting the battery for a few minutes. Reconnect it and see if there is any change. Much more than that and it's going to take some diagnosing like checking for a fault code or to see if the spark plugs are firing and if fuel is being sent into the engine.

Old 10-24-14, 08:03 AM
Super Moderator
Anytime you see the gauges acting wacky, it's almost always an electrical problem. Dirty terminals, bad battery, bad connection to ground. Check, clean, test those. You can take the battery to most any garage/auto parts store and they will test for free.

Old 10-24-14, 09:15 AM
Thanks for the replies.

The check engine light is on.

I disconnected the battery and connected a good, fully charged one. Engine turns over VERY slowly and gauges still wonky.

Old 10-24-14, 09:41 AM
Group Moderator
If the engine is turning over slowly you may have a bad connection though I'd tend to think the battery's charge is low or the battery is dying/bad even though you say it's a good battery.

Since you did not first mention the check engine light I have to ask if there been idiot lights on previously?

Old 10-24-14, 10:26 AM
My daughter doesn't know if the idiot light was on or not- she was the one trying to start the car while I tried to boost it.

I just tried boosting the car from my truck, car battery disconnected so directly to the cable ends (if that makes any difference) and the engine will still only turn over VERY slowly and gauges flip-flop still...

Ideas? Or is time for me to pay the tow operator...

Old 10-24-14, 02:12 PM
Super Moderator
Uh...we gave you ideas. Check all major connections, including grounds (most important) .

Old 10-25-14, 05:37 AM
Group Moderator
As noted, sounds like bad connection somewhere. There's obviously sufficient juice at the terminal, so you would need to work downstream from there and start with the ground connection as Vic said.

Side note: The check engine light will always be on when the engine is not running and key is on. You wouldn't know if it has a code unless a reader is used.

You must be 30+ miles from a garage unless the tow rates up there are pretty steep.

Old 10-26-14, 06:08 AM
the battery has to be load tested