Touchup Paint Application

Old 10-25-14, 07:09 AM
Touchup Paint Application

Looking for some tips on how to properly touchup scratches and chips. I've always just used base coat paint, but just realized I'm supposed to apply a clear coat over top. One question I have is how to prepare the base coat before applying the clear coat touchup. For instance, when touching up deeper scratches using the brush, some excess paint inevitably gets on the surface around the scratch so that there is a raised area. Should I use a fine cut rubbing compound to even out the paint with the existing finish then apply clearcoat?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-25-14, 07:30 AM
Touching up paint is for an "artist" to do if you want it done right. Pay a few bucks and have a body shop do it.

In years past I have "touched up" spots on different vehicles only to have the fix look worse than the original fault.

I made friends with the detailer at the local GM dealership who prepares the used vehicles for resale. He is an artist with a touchup brush.

Old 10-25-14, 08:23 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
When I use a touch up brush I keep a rag handy and carefully wipe off all of the touch up paint off of the car's paint - leaving the touch up paint in the scratch only. When using a rattle can you need to do all the proper prep and figure out where a good stopping point is - end of panel, at a style line, etc.

Old 10-25-14, 08:54 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I use a flat toothpick. The paint never blends well, so I try to contain it within scratch as much as possible. These repairs look OK from afar. If you examine them closely, I doubt if touch up paint will ever meet your best expectations.

Old 10-25-14, 09:09 AM
Super Moderator
Buffing the whole area carefully with a cleaner/polish afterwards has always worked well for me. My wifes brand new Soul was lightly rubbed (luckily on plastic) by a guy pulling a trailer and I ordered the factory pen with color on one end and clear on the other. Careful application (multiple coats) with buffing made them disappear. Even I can't find the touchup spots unless I try different angles of light.

Search this Thread