Wheel rusted to brake drum

Old 10-25-14, 12:23 PM
Wheel rusted to brake drum

Have had about 80 vehicles in my life, but this is a first. 2000 Century. Rear(non-drive) wheel is rusted to the brake drum....REALLY rusted. Been bathing the junction with everything in my garage...Liq Wrench, silicone sprays, etc. I imagine that there's a wheel pulling tool for such an occasion...? Would hate to invest in a tool I'll probably not need for another 80 vehicles....if I make it that long.
Tried a chisel through the wheel holes, at the spot of connection...86.
Any suggestions.....??
Thank you.....Charlie

Last edited by Gunguy45; 10-27-14 at 09:00 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-25-14, 12:50 PM
Super Moderator
You need to back off the brake shoes as well. They can carve a groove in the drum and be impossible to pull. Yes, they make drum pullers, but some also have threaded holes you can run bolts in to push the drums off. Never had that big a problem that backing off the shoes and a few whacks with a mallet didn't solve.

Old 10-25-14, 01:01 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Is wheel rusted to drum or drum rusted on axle? If wheel rusted to drum use a very large hammer and beat it off. Have seem some on very tight. Most times a sharp blow to lower part of tire will pop it off. Drum on axle same thing but if you hit it to hard drum will get bent and ruined. Stuck that hard probably need a new drum anyway.

Old 10-25-14, 02:16 PM
Back off the wheel nuts about 4 threads and drive the car around in a circle and side to side.
That should free the wheel assy from the hub.
Use a wire brush and some NevrSeez on the joint.

Old 10-25-14, 02:20 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
When I get a wheel that is froze to the hub, I back up to it and kick it like a mule. If that doesn't work you can drop the jack once or twice.

Old 10-25-14, 07:16 PM
Thanx all for the ideas...................................................

Old 10-27-14, 07:00 AM
Group Moderator
Sledge hammer to the inside of the tire (as mentioned, you don't hit the rim) is my tool of choice. I've heard of people loosening all the lug nuts and driving on it but that doesn't seem all that safe and it didn't work for me anyway

Old 10-27-14, 07:56 AM
I've heard of people loosening all the lug nuts and driving on it but that doesn't seem all that safe and it didn't work for me anyway
I've never had to do it either but they way I've been told is to just move the vehicle slightly then put it in reverse and again move it slightly and slam the brake.

Old 10-29-14, 10:22 AM
I have had to remove 2 wheels that required some serious persuasion with a sledge hammer. If you put a board against the rim it helps protect it but you risk ruining bearings or bending a rim either way. So far I havent ruined anything like this.

Old 10-30-14, 04:07 PM
I concur with the rest of the replies but would add to aim the BFH hammer against the front side of the drum all around the outer edge. And hit against the hub but be careful not to peen the edges of the hub. Also use a large chisel and your BFH and aim it against the flat surface of the front face of the drum between the studs.

This worked for me.

I think I misread your problem.

Thought you had the wheel off and couldn't remove the drum but you actually have the wheel stuck to the drum???

Last edited by Mackey; 10-30-14 at 06:43 PM.
Old 10-30-14, 04:53 PM
After you get those wheels off smear the mating surfaces with a thin film of Never Seez. That will prevent them from rusting together in the future.

Old 10-30-14, 04:58 PM
Super Moderator
Good point Norm...no one had mentioned it. And I'm guilty of putting just smear on lugs as well, even though I know they say not to. A touch on the end of the threads and on the mating surface. Never had a loose or unbreakable lugnut in almost 40 yrs, unless I wasn't the one who put it on.

Old 10-30-14, 06:00 PM
Yea, I always never seez my lug bolts also. Every book and mechanic says not to. But, like you I never had a failure or a problem with seized lug nuts or wheels. I also use that stuff on muffler clamps. Works like a charm. However, I've given the missus a lot of cause for complaint due to me ruining many clothes with that stuff!

Old 11-04-14, 12:05 PM
rusted wheel

If you have access to one an Air chisel with a blunt punch will shake them loose. Ive removed wheels from farm trucks this way when a sledge hammer wouldnt budge them.