tire size fit inquiry

Old 11-01-14, 08:34 AM
Received 11 Upvotes on 10 Posts
tire size fit inquiry

The OEM tire size for our Kia Optima is 205/60R15 and I'm wanting to acquire a set of winter treads for it. I came across what seems to be a decent asking price from a guy who has a barely used set of size 205/55R15. I'm unclear on whether that size should be fine, or not a good idea (and if not why not) to deviate in that regard from OEM recommendation. Any advice/comments appreciated. Thanks.

Old 11-01-14, 08:40 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 77 Upvotes on 70 Posts
Here is a chart to check
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=46
The only difference is sidewall height. this may make speedo off. Be sure tires on same axle are the same size. Different sizes can cause problems. Here is a caluator
http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/infoTireMath.do

Old 11-01-14, 08:50 AM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
If there's a big difference in tire height, it can throw off the antilock brakes and stability control I believe? That could be if you just have one tire different, not sure.

One thing before buying used tires. Do some searching for how to read the DOT number to determine how old they are. DO NOT TRUST the seller, unless he's a good friend or neighbor.

Drove 30 miles one time to pick up some "barely used" tires that were supposedly taken off a new truck 1-2 yrs prior and stored in a garage. Looked in very good condition, even still had some of the nibs on them. Paid $100 plus another $40 or so for mounting and balancing. Second day driving thought I had a flat but couldn't find anything wrong. Went to a shop and they said "tread separation". Called the manufacturer hoping for warranty....turned out they were almost 8 yrs old!

Lesson learned...

Old 11-01-14, 09:25 AM
Here is a chart to check http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=46
The only difference is sidewall height. this may make speedo off. Be sure tires on same axle are the same size. Different sizes can cause problems. Here is a caluator Tire Size Calculator & Converter, Tire Size Conversion | Discount Tire
Thanks pugsl for the links. I'll check the chart and the calculator. If the only real concern is that it may make the speedo off, that'd be fine with me. Tires on both axles would be the same (going all-around with matching ones...)

Old 11-01-14, 09:29 AM
If there's a big difference in tire height, it can throw off the antilock brakes and stability control I believe? That could be if you just have one tire different, not sure. One thing before buying used tires. Do some searching for how to read the DOT number to determine how old they are. DO NOT TRUST the seller, unless he's a good friend or neighbor.
Yeah guess I'll have to check into the antilock brake and stability/control issues you mentioned then, see what the deal is for sure, if I can. Plus, thanks for the advice about the DOT number and checking for age, and advice not to trust strangers. I'll heed those warnings. thanks gunguy

Old 11-01-14, 10:06 AM
Received 24 Upvotes on 19 Posts
A lot of retailers won't mount incorrect size tires due to legal liability.

Be sure the load & speed rating is the same for the different tires.

Old 11-01-14, 10:16 AM
Thanks for all the advice/comments. Actually it turns out the seller was (is) selling 16" tires, not 15. So no way on the whole idea anyway.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: