timing belt scheduled change out 2005 kia optima?

Old 10-26-14, 11:20 AM
timing belt scheduled change out 2005 kia optima?

Am (reluctantly) considering purchasing a 2005 Kia Optima. Anybody have at least a rough idea at what mileage the timing belt should've been changed? 50,000 miles or 70,000 miles maybe? Any educated guesses appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-26-14, 01:31 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Gates belts lists inspect at 60K and replace at 80K for that car.

Old 10-26-14, 01:58 PM
Thanks goldstar. Much appreciated.

Old 10-26-14, 02:08 PM
IfI were you, I would plan to replace it soon.

On some engines (interference type) a broken belt can cost lot in terms of $$$'s and time.

I had a 1988 Olds 3.8L V6 and it snapped when i was idling, waiting to get a parking space, about 500 miles from home.

Two weeks later, it was at a local garage, a rental car to continue working and get to home for a week and then back to pick it up a week later. About $1200 in repairs to the upper end has just beginning in addition to travel time and costs (mileage, tolls, gas, motels).

The good thing is that it happened at 110,000 miles and the car was great after another 75,000 miles because I went toa good reapair shop to fix a sound car.

If you worry about the general condition of the car, that means it may not have been watched well and I would pass or gamble on the repair since there may be other problems (like rust) and wear that can occur. Some replacement items are now quite predictable on newer cars because of the uniformity.

Dick

Old 10-26-14, 02:32 PM
IfI were you, I would plan to replace it soon.
Right. That would be the intention, taking other factors into consideration as well. Thanks for the further helpful comment(s).

Old 10-27-14, 03:47 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
To reinforce Dick's comment, I had a Volvo S6 twin turbo V6, well under the specified mileage for belt change, and dumb me, I didn't do it when I purchased it. The belt broke idling IN a parking space. 18 of 24 valves trashed. I found out my local repair shop for Volvo's changes the belts on all their interference engines as they bring them up for sale on their lot. It is just the safest way to go.

Old 10-27-14, 07:58 AM
It is just the safest way to go.
Count me in too as one who's learned a hard lesson or two about ignoring/neglecting/overlooking/forgetting timing belt change-outs at the specified mileage. It's never any fun when those break.
Chandler, that Volvo you mentioned, with the twin turbo V6, I'd bet otherwise was a nice engine, and a nice car.

Old 10-27-14, 10:26 AM
Group Moderator
I checked the guide and it's a valve-bender, so ditto the other's comments.

Old 10-27-14, 12:16 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Yeah, the Volvo was a screamer. Tremendous get up and go, very comfortable. I got it fairly cheaply, but had to sell it even cheaper due to the valve collision incident. Such is Life.