floor jack operation?

Old 11-02-14, 09:35 AM
floor jack operation?

I acquired this good sized floor jack but am unfamiliar with how to operate it compared to a smaller floor jack I've used in the past. I'm sure it shouldn't be complicated or much different but just thought I'd ask about it here. The jack has been generally neglected maintenance-wise, left sitting outside in the rain and cold/moist weather, etc., but probably still at least works. Doesn't seem to have any identifying manufacturer or model type obviously displayed but I haven't looked yet real close underneath, etc for such info. Anyway first I tried moving that handle downward but it didn't raise the platform. So I assume I probably need to turn middle part (hydraulic adjustment valve?) sticking up through the bit there (pointing at in second photo), with a wrench it looks like, one way or the other until it seems I can then raise the platform by operating the jack handle? For now I'd at least want to understand the general operation up and down, and from there probably clean it up, then check it over good maintenance/safety wise before I think about using it as intended. Any comments/advice appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-02-14, 10:04 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Check the hydraulic fluid level, it's probably the screw to the left of the nut.

Old 11-02-14, 10:10 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Looks like your missing a part.
Should be able to just turn the long white handle clock wise and then pump the handle up and down.
Your missing the gear on the relief valve where your fingers pointing.

Old 11-02-14, 10:51 AM
Cheap Chinese. Originally sold for $49.95. Have one that is a twin. I bought it from a traveling tool peddler. Blew it apart a year ago jacking a fifth wheel camper side for leveling. Haven't looked to see just what the damage is. I used it fairly often for around 20 years.

joecaption is correct on the missing part. Looks like a match to the gear above it. This is the release valve.

RR

Old 11-02-14, 10:57 AM
Should be able to just turn the long white handle clock wise and then pump the handle up and down.
Oh okay thanks! I did not know about the turning of the handle. And now I do.

Looks like your missing a part. Your missing the gear on the relief valve where your fingers pointing.
Ah, I see. No wonder when I turn the big white handle that doesn't do anything. I'll have to see about getting that gear on the relief valve replaced. Meanwhile I suppose I could at least get it to work by turning that relief valve manually, with a wrench or pliers or whatever. I'll try and see what happens. Thanks again joe.

Old 11-02-14, 11:00 AM
Check the hydraulic fluid level, it's probably the screw to the left of the nut.
Will do. Definitely. Thanks.

Old 11-02-14, 11:40 AM
Update: Turned the relief valve manually then tried pumping the handle and that does work to raise the platform, then turned it back the other way and that works to lower the platform.

Took out the bigger plug on the left, looked inside, and the fluid seems to be up there at a good level. Stuck a toothpick in and the fluid came out clear (not black at least). Took out the plug on the right, and then noticed there's a broken washer/seal at the bottom of that recess (dug out those chunks of it, you can see lying there in the photo). Tried taking out the smaller plug on the left, but it didn't want to turn; was too tight. Gave the butt end of the screwdriver a sharp rap or two then tried again but it still didn't want to turn. Not sure what those two smaller plugs are for.

Old 11-02-14, 01:09 PM
sgull, stay away from that thing, as your life is at stake. I am very serious actually. Reason being, you have to have release valve VERY tight for jack to hold pressure and then are you serious about getting under a say truck to manually release it? Or, you are NOT planning on using it until it's properly fixed? Please, say so.
Also, heads up. Even when fixed, the gears engage only at a very small range of handle position. Gears simply disengage. THEN you have to come up with some sort of long reach tool, like a pipe or something, a pry bar, to hit on gear in right direction to release pressure - while staying OUTSIDE a lifted vehicle. That's what I had to every time I used mine on Silverado rear axle. Otherwise, the handle bolt at the bottom will strip threads and handle will go loose. Drill hole all the way through and set something like a cotter pin or long bolt, so it stays together.
How do I know?

Old 11-02-14, 01:52 PM
Or, you are NOT planning on using it until it's properly fixed? Please, say so.
Not planning on using it as intended, or doing anything seemingly unsafe with it, until I'm convinced it's fixed properly or at least safe to use as is for something. Probably be a tough proposition to try to track down a replacement for that missing gear; when I have time though I'll probably try to look into it. Thanks for the heads up warnings, I will be careful/responsible.

Any comments in regard to my description of my findings with those three plugs (second paragraph of my post #7 here)? Anyone?

Old 11-03-14, 03:10 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I couldn't tell from the pic but it's probably a broke o-ring which is easily replaced. The jack will leak down under pressure without the o-ring.

Old 11-03-14, 07:02 AM
It looks like the 5-Ton jack Sam's Club sold 30 years ago for about $50. I have the matching set of jack stands, same orange and white colors. They have the name Allied International on them, made in Taiwan.

Old 11-03-14, 08:09 AM
I couldn't tell from the pic but it's probably a broke o-ring which is easily replaced. The jack will leak down under pressure without the o-ring.
Yeah kinda of a lousy pic, but yeah it's a broken o-ring. Easily replaceable as you mention.

It looks like the 5-Ton jack Sam's Club sold 30 years ago for about $50. made in Taiwan.
Great, thanks. I google-imaged Allied International 5 ton jack which results in several sites showing and talking about these same type jacks. Actually came across a very thorough detailed tutorial on rebuilding these same model jacks, which will be my plan if I am lucky enough to somehow find a replacement for that missing gear at least.