2009 Pontiac G6 - headlight problem

Old 11-10-14, 06:25 AM
2009 Pontiac G6 - headlight problem

A few months ago driver side was out so I bought a bulb, took it apart, then noticed the socket was melted. The bulb was actually okay. So back to store and got a new socket and decided to go ahead and change both bulbs too while I had it all apart (kind of a pain to get to the bulbs). I used some dielectric bulb grease, had on gloves from part store so bulb didnt get oil from fingers. I think I did a decent job, soldered and tape wrapped the new socket in too.

So last week..... I notice the bulb is out again! I assumed that the socket had melted again based on some internet searching and found they make high temp replacement bulb sockets. Couple days ago I took it apart again... partially, couldn't get the headlight assembly out of the car for some reason, but was able to get behind it and found out the socket was fine , 3 month old bulb was blown. So I put the old bulb back in (glad I saved them).

Anyway, ideas what could be going on here? There doesn't appear to be any water intrusion into the headlight assembly.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-10-14, 08:01 AM
The socket melted? Can you post a photo of the socket and the connector?

Old 11-10-14, 08:34 AM
Pretty sure I tossed it when I replaced it with the new bulb socket/pigtail few months ago. I'll check tonight.