Ford T-Bird Build Sheet

Old 11-10-14, 09:14 PM
W
Received 16 Votes on 15 Posts
Ford T-Bird Build Sheet

I bought a 1988 Thunderbird New (I ordered the car, it did not come off the show room or dealer inventory) and have kept it original with the intent to show it when I got old and had the time. I have all of the original paperwork window stickers etc. I was watching an episode of Gas Monkey and they got all excited about finding a build sheet in an old Baracuda. If the Thunderbird has a build sheet, where might I look for that?

Old 11-11-14, 05:55 AM
Group Moderator
Received 64 Votes on 53 Posts
I think I would go right to the source. An '88 is recent enough Ford may have it on file in some dusty warehouse.

Old 11-11-14, 09:54 AM
W
Ford TBird Build Sheet

Great Advice. Called Ford Customer Service, who switched me HELM Corporation who does their Build sheets. They can print them for customers back to 1967. Is it possible that the one that came down the line is still in car somewhere? I ordered one from them.

Thanks for the tip!!

WML13

Old 11-11-14, 05:33 PM
Group Moderator
Received 64 Votes on 53 Posts
I don't know that they're ever supposed to be left in the car; maybe someone more knowledgeable can enlighten us.

Old 11-12-14, 08:54 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
When I was restoring my 68 GTO I found the build sheet under the rear floor carpet. This is a different sheet from the original window sticker some people call the build sheet. The sheet I have has all of the codes the factory used for different option packages and engine, trans, diff packages. Since having moved a couple times I am not sure where it is anymore. A friend had one for his 68 Camaro. Kind of neat to see all of the "Z" codes that Chevy used back then.

Old 11-12-14, 09:18 AM
I found a "build sheet" for my 1999 GMC Jimmy. It was stuffed in the left rear side/acess panel on the left side. My car was a little unique since it was actually owned and service at GM (not a dealer). I bought in MI. It had every possible option towing package, leather seats, but no heated seats which was strange for MI.

The service records were also a little strange since everything was done at specific intervals (some strange operations and replacements). Oil changes at 1000 miles, 3000 miles, 5000 miles almost to the mile. New ball joints at 5,000, 10,000, 15,000 20,000 and at 24,000 miles. When I got it, it had everything to perfection except it had a new K&N air filter. The strange thing is that it now has 178,000 miles driving in MI & MN with no noticeable rust. My wife's 2000 Blazer (145,00 miles) has been driven in the same climates and stored in the same garage, but it does have a lot of rust showing, especially the bottom of the doors and around the fenders and and the rear.

The sheets are interesting to look at to find out what was actually in the car.

Dick

Old 11-12-14, 10:48 AM
G
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I found the build sheet to my 70 Mach 1 under the carpet in the passenger footwell. It was black from the tar-like sound deadener used under the carpet but I lucked out and brake cleaner flushed away the tar but didn't affect the ink. It was fortunate I found it because the info I got from Ford corporate (not an actual copy) had obvious errors.

Anyways I've never seen one in a newer car. Some cars I've had had a sticker on the trunk lid or spare cover that was full of numerical codes that described colors & options.

Old 11-12-14, 10:59 AM
L
I've seen them wedged between the seat springs and seat cushion. (70's Mopars)

Old 11-12-14, 05:36 PM
E
The so called 'build sheet' is just a document that is printed as the vehicle rolls off the line prior to going to a marshaling yard at the plant for staging prior to shipping. It is more or less a shipping document that shows what options were on the car along with the shipping destination (dealer). The VIN number contains some basic information in regards to the plant that it was built at and the model code/body style but also there will be a sticker on the car, (stamped metal plate in the past) that shows all the options/model codes and colors.
These days the sheet is taped to side glass to show the EPA fuel consumption numbers for one thing which I think is a legal requirement. The 'build sheet' used to actually build the car on line is called a build sequence manifest which tells the line workers at a very detailed level what to install on the vehicle and is laid out with various option codes in small boxes on that sheet. That document is normally taken off the vehicle when the so called 'build sheet' is produced. This 'build sheet' ties directly into the sales order information. These days it is all done with bar code scanning into a computer, and previously manually keyed in since the 80's and early 90's. Prior to computer technology they would have all been produced manually.

Old 11-12-14, 07:06 PM
W
Thank you for all your information! It all coicides with what I have seen of Build Sheets on Television etc. Hopefully the one Ford sends me will agree with the Sales Order, The Window Sticker, and the car itself. All cool stuff!

Thanks again!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: