Exhaust piping spray paint?

Old 11-10-14, 09:50 PM
Exhaust piping spray paint?

I'm thinking about spray painting part of my exhaust pipes (from the middle to about 1 foot from the end). I don't know how hot exhaust pipes can get but I'd imagine not more than 800 celsius. I have Duplicolor Supertherm (BLACK) and it says it's rated at 800 C heat resistant. Will that be safe to use on my exhaust pipes? Any other potential hazards I should be aware of or am I good to go?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 11-11-14, 03:06 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
If you just gotta, yeah it will work. Most high heat paints will take up to 1200 degrees Fahrenheit. Not that it will stay put without proper preparation. Certainly you plan on wire brushing the pipe, cleaning it, priming it with high heat red oxide primer, then your paint. Lotta work for a little fluff.

Old 11-11-14, 03:30 AM
yes, you do have to clean off any dirt and rust so it sticks better, but I'm not going to spend hours cleaning it off. A quick 5 minute scrubbing with a degreaser and wipe it off and she's ready to go. The duplicolor supertherm says it works best on metal.

I already spray painted my drums and that was a synch, too. 1 minute of scrubbing down with degreaser cleaner on toothbrush, then wipe off clean and dry with paper towel and spray paint. The finished result was excellent. Smooth and clean, dries to touch in literally 10 minutes but I waited 30 minutes or so between coats.

It's not necessary to do this I know that, but it's something I love doing...little fixes, little detailing, little things here and there. I know there are car owners who basically don't care about anything other than the bare essentials of the car but that's not me. I touch up every single scratch, I wash the car almost every 2 to 3 weeks (light rinse usually, and a real full handwash once every 2 to 3 months and waxing).

This paint also adds a layer of protection on the parts from rust and other things. Not bad at all for only $10.

Old 11-11-14, 03:33 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
As noted above - proper prep is key! The paint will burn off over time if the pipe gets hotter than the specs for the paint. IMO it would be easier/better to just bolt on a prefinished tail pipe extension.

Old 11-11-14, 03:56 AM
oh, i'm leaving the tailpipe tip alone...i want to leave the chrome finish/look on it. I just want to paint the underside part of the exhaust pipe where nobody is really going to see or look at anyways. The can also said for me to heat it up after painting it for about an hour to harden the lacquer? It mainly highlights this paint is used for the engine and motorcycles....I shouldn't have to worry about the exhaust pipe getting over 800 C right? I don't even think an exhaust would reach anywhere close to 800. That sounds more like for the engine or the motorcycle exhaust where it's much closer to the engine. On a car, the exhaust pipe (at least where I want to paint) is pretty far from the original source of the heat (engine) so I'd imagine the temperature will be much less by the time the heat travels down the pipe as compared to when it's at the engine. But I'm sure it's still very hot. I think it's hotter at the manifold and less hot down the pipe towards the muffler but probably around 500 C on average.

Old 11-11-14, 04:23 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I don't know what temps the exhaust system runs but they say the catalytic convertor gets extra hot and I would assume that heat would extend a little ways on each end .... but you never know until you try, let us know how it comes out.

Old 11-11-14, 05:19 AM
What vehicle are you doing? Does it have SS exhaust system?

Old 11-12-14, 04:49 PM
A few years back prior to stainless pipes or chrome tips some manufacturers installed flat black painted tail pipes so they would look better in the showroom. Toyota did this with their Corollas using Denso exhaust systems back in the late 80's and early 90's for example. It wasn't done to protect from rust, but something that looked nicer to the customer in the showroom, or at least that was what they thought. The paint was expected to last until the car was sold.

Search this Thread