Is there such thing as too much tranny fluid?

Old 11-14-14, 06:57 AM
Is there such thing as too much tranny fluid?

I recently had a new-used tranny put into my 1997 Toyota 4runner. It has been running fine for 2 months but a check engine light that just came on has gotten me to double check fluids and bring it back to the tranny mechanic to do a once-over just to double check everything. When I checked the tranny fluid I noticed the ENTIRE dipstick is coated with tranny fluid. I wipe it off put it back in, take it out.. and again, the entire thing up to the handle is coated in fluid making it impossible to read the level. My question is,

"IS THERE A TON OF FLUID IN THE TRANNY? IF SO,WHAT ARE THE REASONS SOMEONE WOULD DUMP SO MUCH INTO IT?"

Hope somebody has some insight as to why I cannot read the level of fluid and why someone might add so much? Would adding a ton of fluid to a tranny hide a problem with the tranny? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 11-14-14, 07:46 AM
I am not a expert but to check the level the correct procedure must be followed , and usually to much can destroy a transmission as it introduces air into oil which will show up on the dipstick as bubbles and no it wont hid a problem .Erick the car guy has a lot of good information on transmission .

Old 11-14-14, 07:33 PM
Oh yeah, you can overfill trannie, resulting in excessive hydraulic pressure, busted lines, and ATF overflowing anywhere possible. How do I know? Done it.
But the thing is, you MUST follow your specific vehicle ATF level procedure. MUST.

Old 11-14-14, 07:43 PM
I wipe it off put it back in, take it out.. and again, the entire thing up to the handle is coated in fluid making it impossible to read the level.
The question is the procedure for checking the fluid level. Most manufacturer's specify that the vehicle be on level ground with the engine/transmission warm and the engine running with transmission in neutral or park when you check the fluid level. What is the procedure for your vehicle? Slightly overfilled is worse than slightly low.

Old 11-15-14, 11:04 PM
Take it back the mechanic and have them check it with you there to witness. Yes to much is BAD.

Old 11-17-14, 06:31 AM
Like others have said; you must absolutely positively follow the proper procedure. You, of course, (as others have said) must also use the correct fluid, and not some of the cheaper "works in place of multiple fluid types" stuff you see out there (I prefer to use the OEM factory fluids on newer vehicles). Not all shops follow this rule, so I'd carefully verify that the proper fluid type and brand was used in your 4runr. And you, again of course, must also have the vehicle on level ground when checking the fluid (don't laugh, I've seen this more than a few times).

Note: some ATF fluids and low viscosity motor oils can be difficult to read on the stick until you get used them. Leaving the stick in for about a 1/2 a minute or so before you pull it out again can sometimes help with this (IIRC, my '00 Chev Silv mentioned this in the owner's manual).