Transmission fluid change at 200,000 miles? Yes or no?

Old 11-14-14, 05:58 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Transmission fluid change at 200,000 miles? Yes or no?

2002 Sequoia. Runs great, no issues, 200,000 miles. I just bought it used and the only thing "wrong" is there is no record of any transmission fluid work. No issues with shifting. I have proof the timing belt and lots of other maintenance was done but not the trans. I don't ever do flushes but I had planned on dropping the pan, changing the filter and adding fluid. Then, do a drain and fill with the subsequent 2-3 oil changes. I will only use Toyota fluid for the transmission.

My question is I've had a few people tell me that due to the mileage I shouldn't mess with it. I even called my local toyota dealer and he said, and I quote, "Don't change the fluid, it could be the kiss of death for that truck".

I will state for the record I have no idea what is the right course of action here. I will also state that I do not believe in "lifetime" fluids and it's driving me nuts to have this thing running like a top with what could be 100,000 miles fluid in it. For all I know it could be the original fluid inside but considering it runs fine, I don't think so. I ran an autocheck and it didn't show any maintenance records and I looked it up on the Toyota owners site with no luck either. I doubt running a carfax would reveal anything.

So how should I proceed?

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-14-14, 06:38 PM
Received 11 Votes on 8 Posts
Apples and oranges. Nothing wrong with your protocol. What THEY were referring to is force flush of trannie, when they hook up a special machine to trannie cooling lines and cycle cleaner and ATF through.
Just forget that.
I never had ANY issues with non OEM fluids in multiple Japanese cars we had.

Old 11-15-14, 05:35 AM
Group Moderator
Received 55 Votes on 45 Posts
Just to expand a little, trannies have been known to fail shortly after a fluid and filter change on high mileage vehicles, but as Igor says I think that is much more likely to happen with a pressure flush than a standard fluid and filter service. Tranny fluid being a fairly good detergent, the fresh stuff can sometimes loosen up things that can cause problems. Having said that, generally speaking if that's all that was keeping the tranny going, it would have been on its last legs anyway. Not sure if your Sequoia will have a replaceable filter; some Toyotas have a cleanable screen.

Like Igor, I have never put OEM Toyota fluids of any kind in my Toyotas and I've been driving them since 1978. The '01 Camry we recently replaced had 175,000 miles on it.

Old 11-15-14, 05:58 AM
Received 10 Votes on 7 Posts
I don't believe that ATF is high detergent and that fact is backed up by asking a tribologist such as Molakule at BITOG (Bob Is The Oil Guy) results on atf engine cleaner. | Oil Additives | Bob Is The Oil Guy
Engines need detergents/dispersants because of the combustion process and a transmission is not subject to those particles/pollutants.

It appears that the power flushes are the culprit and a simple drain/fill and filter clean/replacement is advantageous to any transmission.

I've had older Honda & Toyota vehicles that were spec'd for Dexron III and I used generic Dex III in them (not OEM fluid) with no problem. The new(er) cars are quite more "specific" about their fluids and many make/model specific forums bear this out.

One should always find what the recommended fluid is for their vehicle and use compatable replacement material. There are many factors in OEM fluid selection that include viscosity. gasket material, seal material, temp range etc.

You can study many UOA/VOA (used oil analysis/virgin oil analysis) reports at Bob Is The Oil Guy here http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...alysis_Reports

Things are not what they were 20-30 yrs ago.....

Old 11-15-14, 09:59 PM
W
I agree with dealer stating the kiss of Death would happen. If there isn't any issue let well enough alone. :NO NO NO:

Old 11-17-14, 05:30 AM
T
Thank you for the reply. I suspected that was the case and I use non oem fluids for oil, diff, transfer case, but for some reason I always stuck with OEM for transmissions. Not sure why. lol Thank you for the reply.

Old 11-17-14, 05:35 AM
T
I havent verified but I think it's just a metal screen and not a traditional filter like an il filter for example. I would suspect that if the transmission was about to go, it would be showing signs of slipping or unusual behavior would it not? From what I can tell it is operating as expected.

I have seen the fluid and it looks like used fluid, not burnt visually nor does it smell burnt, but it has that reddish brown look of old fluid. Considering it's age, I think it's safe to assume it has been changed before. I would suspect that it is not the original fluid considering the mileage and color.

Thank you.

Old 11-17-14, 05:39 AM
T
I have read various threads on BITOG and found it to be a very in formative site. I agree about the particulate issue with transmission fluid but my main concern is heat. This was/is a southern truck and the engine has seen it's fair share of extreme heat. Combine that with my local environment being a very hilly one, I want to combat heat as much as possible. That is my main reason for the desire for fluid changes on all my vehicles.

As I'm reading the replies here I am considering doing one drain and fill and then sending a sample to blackstone for review. Thoughts?

Thank you for your reply.