Which steering gear on my '94 Tempo?

Old 11-21-14, 07:44 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Which steering gear on my '94 Tempo?

While replacing the worn right motor mount on my '94 Tempo GL 3.0, I found the inner tie rod ends to be worn. So I went shopping online, and found that there appears to be a choice of two steering gears in this model - one marked SPR-EW and one marked SPR-EF. After some crawling around under the car, looking for markings and finding none, does anyone have any idea specifically where I ought to look for these markings? Part of me is saying to order the ends for the -EW gear, since they're the more common listing. Another part doesn't want to get it wrong and waste the money, even though it's not a great deal of it. Oh, by the way, the car is equipped with power steering. Don't know whether that will help or make any difference. Anyone? Bueller? As always, any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance - Chris

Old 11-21-14, 08:46 AM
R
Received 67 Upvotes on 52 Posts
There should be a metal tag attached to the rack just to the side of the steering input shaft. There are 3 different racks used on these cars so it would be worth another look for the ID tag.

Old 11-21-14, 11:42 AM
Thanks, Ron. Guessing the tag will be riveted on, probably on the top side of the rack tube? Didn't see a third set of markings listed while shopping for tie rod ends; hope my luck is holding better than for the car to be wearing the "mystery" gear! Since I'm ready to pull the trigger on buying ends, I better go look some more. More as it happens - Chris

Old 12-04-14, 08:09 AM
N
yes, there is a metal tag rivited to the housing.
But, as long as it is power steering.
I have replaced hundreds of these tie-rods
( I worked at the local Ford dealer, when thes vehicles were introduced)
& Never had the 'Parts Counter'-Man ask me for an ID tag.
That being said "as far I know" there is only 1 tie rod

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: