Drivers High Beam Headlight not working

Old 11-20-14, 07:24 PM
Question Drivers High Beam Headlight not working

Hi guys,

I parked it in my garage and noticed that the headlight was out on the drivers side, both the high beam and low beam. With the car still on I opened the hood, looked around, and shut the hood.

When I shut the hood the low beam light came back on, and has stayed on since then, but the high beam still wont work.

So today I changed the bulb on the high beam and it still didnt work. I checked the fuse by exchanging it with the other high beam fuse and it didnt work, so it's not the fuse. I've also worked the wires a little bit with the high beams on to see if it was a break in the wires but I didnt get any flickering there.

Vehicle is a 2006 Nissan Altima 3.5L.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Brammer; 11-20-14 at 08:13 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-20-14, 08:06 PM
Make/model/year of vehicle?

Time to get the volt meter out.

Old 11-20-14, 08:11 PM
Sorry, that was stupid of me. It's a 2006 Nissan Altima 3.5L. I'll edit the original post for that if I can.

Yeah I was thinking of that, I'll grab one tomorrow and take a look, I'm assuming I'm looking for the voltage at the connection?

Thanks again!

Old 11-21-14, 03:24 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Yes should read 12 to 14 volts DC.

Old 12-04-14, 07:00 PM
Still no luck

Hello,

Sorry for the slow response, things got busy on me. However, I finally had some more time to look into this.

I used my volt meter and checked for power at the socket. I have a fairly cheap multimeter so I don't know how accurate it is, but I only saw around 8-10 volts at the socket when I had the high beams on. When off it read 0, so it seems like the relay/switch is working. Would having low voltage there make the light not work at all?

I then went to a parts store and got a replacement socket, which I spliced in and tried out. Still no luck, seems to be the same thing: 8 to 10 volts at the socket and the bulb doesnt work at all.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Old 12-04-14, 07:56 PM
Group Moderator
8 to 10 volts at the socket and the bulb doesnt work at all.
That's lower then what it should be but the light should still light up.... just dim.
Try checking the voltage at the socket with the bulb connected.... it'll probably be 0.

You would have to measure from each terminal to ground to find the voltage pin. If you find a pin with voltage on it.... then you've lost the ground connection.

Old 12-04-14, 08:17 PM
having only 8-10 volts is the problem. my guess is a bad connection or bad wiring. start tracing the wire back to the fuse box. a wiring diagram will help a lot. my reasoning for say this is when the bulb is on the system it pulls the volts down to where it will not light up. you have to think about it like water flow. if a wire has ten strands and in one spot has only one it will restrict the flow.