Mobius Action Cam as car dash cam on external battery

Old 11-28-14, 06:46 AM
Mobius Action Cam as car dash cam on external battery

I just have a question and want to be sure just in case (and not destroy my mobius cam). I have an external battery from "Goal Zero". The model is the "Yeti 150". Here is a link to it:
Goal Zero Yeti 150 Solar Generator | Power Packs | Goal Zero

Could I simply plug my mobius cam using the 5 pin usb cable that was included with the mobius camera into my Yeti 150 usb port? The specs on the Yeti 150 says that the USB ports are 5V (up to 2.1 A, 10 W max), regulated.

Also, does the mobius cam have a voltage limiter? I didn't see one in the settings. I don't need a voltage limiter as this is an external battery source and won't matter if it's completely drained out. I know that almost all car dash cams have a built in voltage limiter usually set at its lowest is 11.8V or 11.9V. The problem with that when using my external battery is that when the minimum voltage of 11.9V is reached, the dash cam will turn off automatically, but my external battery pack still has about 60% charge left on it. I'm still getting about 40 hours of continuous recording from 100% charge until the voltage hits 11.9V. But if the Mobius cam has no voltage limiter, then it would just keep recording until the external battery is at 0 or 1%. I'm guessing I could get as much as 80 to 100 hours continuous recording on a full charge so this way I won't need to keep recharging my external battery every 2 - 3 days.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-06-15, 09:44 PM
Share notes?

I'm looking for a setup similar to what you may have for the same reasons. Our vehicles are being keyed repeatedly, and I'm fed up. Unfortunately, I don't own the building where I live and need an in-car surveillance solution. I've been endlessly frustrated in the hunt, and am nearly to the point of just camping outside with my car. On the plus side, the idiots who key our cars seem to favor one particular area, which limits the field of view I need anyway. Would you mind sharing your setup and strategy with me?

Old 01-09-15, 12:13 PM
I would say there are quite a few creative things you could do with the cars battery power alone. Check out some web camera solutions. There are wireless web cameras you can purchase that could be powered by a USB that you stream to your in home computer. Much the same could be done by putting an old "steal-able" laptop inside the car hidden, and then run the web cameras into it.

The reason I say web cameras is because you can use them as CCTV cameras and security cameras with the right gear. There is software for Windows and Linux that will monitor the camera feed and detect motion, once it does it records. Some of the software is not only free but very extensive, enough so that you can view the video feed from any location on the planet after registering the camera on your personal network.

One example, which is what I use for security is software called "Zoneminder" for the Linux operating system. This software can run multiple web camera feeds as CCTV camera feeds and can broadcast them across your devices and computers if configured to do so.

With roughly 60$, an old used laptop on Craigslist could be purchased, along with a couple of web cameras. The Linux operating system is free, chose a 32 bit system as it will be easier to set up the Zoneminder software. There are tutorials online on how to accomplish this. Then you can stuff it under a seat and let it record.

If you have an issue with battery power in the laptop, a secondary car battery placed possibly in the trunk along with an inverter will power the laptop for possibly several days time without compromising your regular car battery. Doing this would possibly up the surveillance cost to 100$. After exceeding the 100$ mark, you are nearing the price of wireless security cameras that are designed for this task.

Old 01-09-15, 12:30 PM
Don't mean to be a thread jacker.. I do not think your power supply will hurt your camera, but I would not plug it into any power source directly. Try to use some USB charger, because direct battery contact can mean 2 or more amps going into your device.

Old 01-09-15, 01:36 PM
Group Moderator
because direct battery contact can mean 2 or more amps going into your device.
Not really amp draw is limited by the impedance/resistance of the load. People use 60 watt light bulbs that draw less then one amp on fifteen amp circuits all the time with no problem.

Search this Thread