2000 Jimmy SLS fuel tank attachment

Old 12-02-14, 03:17 PM
2000 Jimmy SLS fuel tank attachment

Hi - vehicle is a 2000 GMC Jimmy SLS, 2-door, automatic, 6 cyl. 4.3 L engine. It's the Blazer type with metal gas tank.

I put a new fuel pump in a few months ago, and in the process the old tubing between the fill tube and the gas tank got sacrificed. It was old, dried up, and wouldn't release from the tank no matter what.

So, finally found a source for new tubing. The best info I can find online (Haynes guide had no info) for sizes states 2" ID for the fill tube, and 5/8 ID for the vapour return.

Got the old stuff off the other day, cut the new tubing to size, cleaned up the (somewhat rusty, but holding up) filler neck as best as I could, and after a soak in boiled hot water and a little lubrication I got things attached to the filler neck. It wasn't hard, but wasn't that easy either. The vapour return line had to *really* stretch to get over that neck.

Getting this stuff on to the gas tank inlet necks has been impossible so far. I can't see how I can attach everything off-vehicle and then slide the filler neck into place - there's just no room. Everything else I've tried has been a combination of No, Your Hand Won't Fit In There, or No, The Tank/Filler Neck Can't Angle That Way.

Any tips for getting this together? Can I go up a size in tubing and rely on some sturdy clamps to keep things locked down? Do I even have the right size tubing?

Any advice appreciated - pretty frustrated having the whole project stall right at the final job. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 12-02-14, 03:25 PM
The proper procedure for replacing fuel pumps on your vehicle is to remove bed and then you have no cramp spots. Filler and vent hose very easy to get to.

I have a 2000 Chev S10 that has had pump replaced twice and bed was removed each time. Much easier than attempting to drop tank out of frame.

RR

Old 12-02-14, 04:29 PM
Dang - for real? I've seen the hillbilly "cut a hole in the bed" videos... I didn't need to go there though, as dropping the tank wasn't all that hard. (rusted bolts notwithstanding).

Removing the bed seems like a pretty labor-intensive way to attach a couple a' hoses at this point, unless I absolutely have to do it that way...? Anything else I can try first?

Old 12-03-14, 03:28 AM
Rough Rooster is absolutely correct. As for the line and tubing, I would only use GM replacements. I say this because a lot of the over-the-counter aftermarket fuel line/tubing sold these days is junk that will not last. The OEM line and tubing would, most likely, be easier to install.

Old 12-03-14, 09:40 AM
OK - well I'll have to give it one more shot from underneath.

What's a good source for the OEM tubing? Any opinion on the longevity of the stuff I got from Greenline?

Old 12-03-14, 10:18 AM
Ok, I missed the fact that this is mini Blazer/SUV rather than a PU. Sorry bout that. Anyway, the OEM hoses should be available from GMC/Chevy. In my experience, the lifespan of non OEM hoses can be anywhere from that of the original stuff to less than a couple of years.

Search this Thread