Very annoying loss of power

Old 12-17-14, 08:15 PM
Very annoying loss of power

99 Mazda protege, 2.3L, manual shift. There are sudden losses of power while going uphill. It's the worst on the highway, just about 65 mph. If I can push it up to just above 70, it's usually ok. There is also some sputtering while cruising around town. Not much, just on occasion. Also, not if it matters, even though it's about 30 degrees here, car heats up quickly- but doesn't not overheat. Also getting codes about upstream O2 sensor

Sponsored Links
Old 12-17-14, 09:48 PM
Super Moderator
First thing I have to recommend if not done already, call Mazda USA (not your local dealer) give them the VIN and see if there are any recalls or bulletins that may apply. Just took my 10 y/o Suzuki to a dealer after getting a recall notice. 'Zuki no longer in the USA but still has warranty dealers. 1 recall for the notice, 2 others that were about 10 yrs old. Dealer ordered the parts and a week later I took the old beast in and it really does drive better than before.

Old 01-09-15, 02:18 PM
Contacting a dealer might help you find some answers. One thing you could do is check the spark plugs, those can indicate many, many things. Have tune ups been done? Does the gas cap release pressure when you remove it? Does it run worse in rainy weather? And was the lack of power an instantaneous thing or something that gradually came to be?

Some car with fuel pressure systems can acquire leaks, most often at the filler line. When this happens there will be a constant intake of oxygen, and in weatherly conditions even water, dust and more into the gas tank. It can water down the gas and make the engine struggle to basically gurgle gas from the gas tank. I do not know for certain if your car is pressurized or not.

If it is instantaneous there is always a chance that the timing jumped, depending on the type of engine the car has.

In some vehicles something simple like a gas pedal sensor could be bumped out of position.

If the vehicle has a distributor cap set up it might be a good idea to inspect, clean or replace it.

Getting a sludge removing fuel or oil additive might show results, as well as putting a little dry gas in to check for any differences. If you have access to a siphon you may be able to reach to the bottom of the tank and pull a sample. It may require the disconnection of the filler line.

If the oxygen intake was clogged this could happen. Might want to check your air filter and intake system. If a computer can be plugged into the car for diagnostics, you may be able to determine if a sensor is bad somewhere.

If the fuel filter is clogged and in need of replacement it could cause sluggish power. If the transmission is low on fluids it can put strain on the engine much like your brakes rubbing and low tire pressure. If the exhaust is plugged, if the muffler or catalytic converter are clogged it can cause these issues.

Little things like a belt being tightened too much can cause this as well, sometimes even rendering a cars ability to start.

Overall, my guess is to check the filler line and gas pressure needs for your car. There is a high chance you car's issues are related to not getting fuel effectively, not getting oxygen effectively, or not being able to push its burnt fuel out of the exhaust.

Old 01-13-15, 06:28 PM
I had this problem once, I bought junk sparkplug wires.

Old 01-16-15, 09:31 PM
I originally pulled the spark plugs to see any problems. There was oil on one of them, so I changed the gasket. Also, codes read upstream and downstream O2 sensor trouble. Tested downstream sensor and it was dead (tested resistance on wires). I replaced it but it did not fix the problem. I would rather do more investigation than throw $$$ at another part. I read that if I spray starter fluid at the O2 lines(?) I can find a leak? So where exactly are the O2 lines? Or should I just drop the $50 for the other O2 sensor?

Old 01-17-15, 05:54 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
If your codes indicate both O2 sensors are suspect, why only change one? What do your codes indicate, now that you have changed one? Your O2 sensors are part of the exhaust system. They do not do anything but detect abnormalities in exhaust gasses.

Old 01-17-15, 07:10 AM
OP, start here:
- Seafom your engine. You are likely having fuel supply issue. Possibly, air leak somewhere.
It's small tank, so do 1 can of Seafom per tankful. Don't forget to flush Seafom in with petrol. It will clean all passages petrol goes through, fuel pump and filter included. I have never seen a clogged fuel filter, though I replaced many, so I do not recommend replacing it.
Also what it does, it cleans O2 sensors, believe it or not.
Not sure what gasket you replaced. You do have vertical tubes for spark plugs, at the top of valve cover, right? Then you need to do tube seals and valve cover gasket. Pull plugs out and either replace them with new ones or burn electrodes white hot with propane torch.
After 2 tankfuls of Seafom, let's see what happens.

Old 01-17-15, 10:42 PM
What the codes revealed were possible problems. Each code gave 4 'reasons' for the code. One actually said 'check other codes first'. So I did.

On a 99 mazda protege, there are 2 O2 sensors. One upstream, one downstream. Upstream communicates fuel/air mix to the computer, which adjusts the mix. The other reads what is left after the fuel is burnt. The downstream sensor was dead, as I found by testing the leads. No info was being sent to the computer. So I replaced it.

Old 01-18-15, 07:13 AM
So then tell us - LATER - if this actually fixed the issue. As O2 sensors won't give you loss of power issues you describe.
Be well.

Old 03-24-15, 08:03 AM
Ran a bottle of SeaFoam with a full tank of gas, replaced the spark plugs. Still having problems. Still rough driving.