Advice for a squeeking seat belt, please ?

Old 12-27-14, 02:53 PM
Advice for a squeeking seat belt, please ?

Our 2004 Chev Tahoe LT....driver's side seat belt squeaks a lot, as it moves in and out of the case above my shoulder. Do not see how I can get anything apart to look inside for something to lube.

Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-27-14, 03:12 PM
You remove the plastic panel, or pillar B trim, by unclipping it. Chance is, lower seat belt bolt may be securing some of it in place. Then, you have access to entire mechanism. Lubricate at will.
It's GM, it's all clips.
If it's for some reason the belt itself, regular cheapest possible soap coat full length does miracles to rubbing belts, as it makes everything quite low friction.

Old 12-28-14, 04:48 AM
Is your vehicle equipped with a seat belt pretension system? If so, I recommend that you do not mess around with the belt mechanism. As for 'lubing at will"; you should sparingly use a silicone lubricant while, of course, avoiding the webbing and ratchet system (which should never be lubricated).

Old 12-28-14, 10:26 AM
Group Moderator
If it's for some reason the belt itself, regular cheapest possible soap coat full length does miracles to rubbing belts, as it makes everything quite low friction.
Soap on the seatbelt Are you sure about that ??

Old 12-28-14, 01:55 PM
Yep. It's old way to make things slippery. And is washable, right? As many soap derivatives as an average American is putting onto various body parts and clothes, nothing will make it worse. Btw, if it indeed was the belt, it will show shiny areas of high friction. Points towards spot lubrication.
As of do NOT to lubricate tensioner. It's a basic, very simple clockwork mechanism with inertia lock, usually a rolling ball. Like anything else, where they normally are, they collect lint and dirt and what not off the belts, times humidity and things in the air, just like any other box buried deep inside vehicle. You do not want to get lubricant, as out of spray can, onto the belt itself, THAT will sure ruin your clothes. But the mechanical mechanism, with belt fully pulled out, can be easily lubricated. From years of lubing this and that, I found that white garage door lubricant works the best on squeaks. Made by same folks that make PB Blaster, I think. It's - just checked - Blaster Garage Door Spray Lubricant.
Oh, and while I'm on it. I have been doing my job since June 1994. That means, I used silicone spray lubricants same time, as they are the most common in any shop in my line of work. As PARTING AGENT. On my list of lubricants, they are down at the very bottom. Good for stinking solvent and dust collection. Lubrication lasts about 1 day.

Old 12-28-14, 06:12 PM
Just to make sure - English can be confusing - BAR soap. Not liquid soap. My grandfather trick, and he was educated as carriage maker back in Austria-Hungary empire times, 1912 I believe.

Old 12-29-14, 08:26 AM
Thanks for your replies. I am too inept to post a picture....and did not indicate exactly the seat belt setup. The shoulder belt comes out of the top of the seat back. Not from the pillar. On the side of my seat back is the 3x6 inch side air bag cover.

Guess I could try the bar soap fix.....before I call the dealer. (Unless some clever person has the solution).

Thanks

Search this Thread