2009 Toyota Camry V6 Serpentine belt replacement

Old 12-31-14, 04:37 AM
2009 Toyota Camry V6 Serpentine belt replacement

I am getting ready to change the belt on our Camry. Thought I would ask if anyone has any tips on getting to the tensioner. I saw a video on youtube where a guy got to it by taking passenger tire off and going in that way.

Any better suggestions? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 12-31-14, 06:11 AM
Temporarily Suspended
I never changed the timing belt on a Camry. Removing the tire makes perfect sense. There are some cars where I would probably cut a hole in the wheel well but that's another story. I despise front wheel drive cars with those sideways engines. Make sure that the timing marks are in line.

Old 12-31-14, 06:44 AM
Group Moderator
Serpentine, Pulp.

That Camry probably has a chain anyway.

Old 12-31-14, 06:48 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I bought a special wrench at an auto parts store. It's thin and comes with several attachments. Made the job really easy.

Old 12-31-14, 06:54 AM
Group Moderator
My best tow buddy has one of those (he's a real mechanic and not shadetree like me) and I agree they work well.

Old 12-31-14, 07:35 AM
kmeyer, yes, remove wheel and possibly even tire well cover. It's not that hard. Also, not a bad idea to have 2nd set of hands to hold belt down there whilst you doing the upper pulleys. Or, you can try to beat it by beeing patient and sliding that belt around all the pulleys it has to run around, not missing a grove, from the top. Took me only about an hour of total frustration on a 4 cyl Camry. So it's your call.

Old 12-31-14, 01:20 PM
ukrbyk,

Thanks for the info. I don't know why some of you guys are talking about the timing belt but maybe my wording wasn't the best. I am not talking about the timing belt. just the serpentine belt. Thanks for the info.

Old 12-31-14, 06:05 PM
Yeah, it's "at a glance" response. Belt>timing>chain. Happens. I just goofed place else with totally stupid advice, when I missed "upper" next to control arm. Thought it was lower.
It may sound like much more effort to remove wheel and fender cover, but in reality, you will save a a lot a lot of time.

And arm that look like this:

Old 01-02-15, 02:24 PM
job done. pulled off wheel and small piece of inner wheel wheel cover. use 14mm box wrench plus another box wrench to use like cheater bar and pryed tensioner right over. once tensioner was pryed over I used and allen wrench to hold it over until belt was changed. all in all it was a lot easier than I expected. thanks for the input

Old 01-02-15, 06:36 PM
Kudos to you!!.................