Hybrid battery pack replace or recondition?

Old 12-31-14, 01:35 PM
Hybrid battery pack replace or recondition?

I have a 2011 Honda Insight. It has about 160,000 miles on it. I have noticed less acceleration (to be expected with any car), but also the recharging/discharging is slower.

I think it's time to do something with the batteries. I know replacement can be expensive, but if you do it yourself you can save some money.

I've also read about reconditioning the batteries. I think you take it somewhere and they balance the charging on all the batteries so they're more equalized.. or something like that. lol.

At this stage, I'd like to keep the car to at least 200,000 miles or beyond if it serves me well. Should I replace the battery pack, or consider getting it reconditioned?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-31-14, 03:08 PM
Group Moderator
From my limited experience with hybrid batteries..... change the entire pack. Reconditioning is only a temporary solution.

Old 12-31-14, 05:58 PM
I own Camry Hybrid and am very active in 2primary hybrid forums, for those.
Consensus is - send it to a business that refurbishes them. They come back with warranty and are reasonably priced.
You can also buy traction batteries used off say ebay, but they are cost prohibitive due to huge shipping costs.
BUT!! Why did you decide that traction battery is in need to be replaced? Just because? 2011 you say? Yeah, you out of warranty. In best case it's 150 000 miles. But I have seen some posts that Honda extended warranty on traction batteries because of the overall ****ty quality of those. Might also be something to look into.

Old 12-31-14, 06:53 PM
I would exhaust all options with Honda before looking to purchase myself.

They may "split" the cost" with you ....

Old 01-20-15, 12:00 PM
Thanks.

I was hoping the cheaper way would work for a while longer... I really don't want to have to buy new batteries

Old 01-20-15, 07:12 PM
That's why I asked you - WHY did you decide your battery is bad? And told you - recondition. Fraction of cost.

Search this Thread