Backup lights come on when braking.

Old 01-11-15, 12:52 AM
Backup lights come on when braking.

2001 Pontiac Montana over 300,000 miles. The driver side rear tail light the whole thing goes dim When I apply the brake and the backup light comes on. Same thing with the turn signal. Turn on the left turn signal and it flashes between the turn light and the backup light. it's only on the drivers side rear though. Front works no issues. Also both turn signal indicators on the dash light up when braking also? Is it a major repair that will cost $$$$$$$ if I take it in or can it be solved with replacing the whole rear taillight assembly? Also power locks don't work with the door buttons but work with the key chain remote.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-11-15, 05:33 AM
Group Moderator
Have you put in new bulbs? A sagging or broken filament touching another filament can cause problems like this. I have had a combo parking light/turn signal bulb cause a problem with a tail light.

Last edited by ray2047; 01-11-15 at 07:32 AM.
Old 01-11-15, 06:17 AM
I vote for bad socket. We had issues like this on Mitsubishi and it always was bad socket.

Old 01-11-15, 07:24 AM
I would also suspect a bulb or socket, as well as a loose or corroded ground. Does it have a trailer connector? If so, I would also suspect that. Don't know for sure, but have an idea that you might find the trailer connector to be be an inline plug in adapter that you could simply unplug the vehicle harness from, plug the harness back into itself, and see if the problem goes away. Would be willing to bet though that one of these things is the problem, very unlikely that it is anything more, so don't see any major dollars.

Old 01-11-15, 08:03 AM
Group Moderator
The back-up bulb doesn't share a filament with another bulb so my vote is on missing/corroded ground.

Old 01-12-15, 07:41 PM
Start with the basics. Pull out each bulb and confirm they are the correct ones. Or pull out all bulbs in the rear and start fresh. I accidentally put a single element bulb in a dual element socket (the 1 nipple on the bottom contacted both terminals in the socket) and caused ALL kinds of weird activity. I would start there, make sure there is no corrosion as the others stated.
Also, make sure that the correct bulbs are in the correct housings. Sometimes the wiring is long enough for the socket to reach another hole. Is the reverse light in the turn signal hole? Just throwing silly things out there because I've seen it in the past.
Do the turn signals work? No fast blinking? What about hazards? Electrical issues can be a pain. It could also be a ground issue. If you can find the harness for the rear lights I would chase the ground and see how it looks but start with the bulbs, that's easier.

Old 01-19-15, 08:21 PM
Now the only thing that comes on on the drivers side tail light are the turn signals. Also when the left turn signal is on the LED light bar on the top above the tailgate flashes.

Old 01-31-15, 08:50 PM
Well now it has gotten worse. The battery keeps going dead. When I tried to put the charger on it The door locks activate and lock and unlock the doors the interior lights come on along with the rear lights which flash then go out and the charger fluctuates between charged and not charged. Going to call a few places in the morning and see how much they want to check it out. Im suspecting the rear tail light is part of the issue.

Old 02-15-15, 01:50 PM
UPDATE problem is fixed. Cost $237 via a repair shop. Problem was the driver side rear tailight. When the tech took it for a test drive water kept getting in shorting out the builbs via missing mounting screws and the passenger side tailight was the wrong one so he had to replace both and cleaned up some wires. So far the problem has been fixed and the turn signals no longer light up on the dash when braking. Next item is a tune up as he said it is running rough and rich.