2009 nissan altima humming/whirling sound

Old 01-12-15, 06:58 AM
2009 nissan altima humming/whirling sound

Hello, i have a 2009 nissan altima. Recently i noticed a humming/whirling sound coming from the dash when i have the heat fan turned up about half way after driving for about 10 min. If i turn the fan up the sound speeds up gets higher pitched, and if i turn the fan down the noise slows down, and has a lower pitch. It seems to be only affected by the fan control, and nothing else ( acceleration does not affect it nor does turning or braking)

Sometimes hitting a bump while driving will stop the noise for a while but then it seems to come back. To me it sounds like a fan bearing/sleeve needs some lubricant. I have looked inside the vent but i do not see a fan. Is this something i can fix?

thanks in advance.

Last edited by lawrosa; 01-12-15 at 09:18 AM. Reason: added title info
Sponsored Links
Old 01-12-15, 07:27 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Welcome to the forums!

I'd bet a leaf or small piece of paper has fell down into the vent and causing the noise you are hearing.
You'll need to look and see how/where you can disconnect the duct work to clean it out.

Old 01-12-15, 09:21 AM
Group Moderator
Usually something will get sucked in and then lodged in the blower wheel or that area. The link below is instructions to get to blower motor. It actually talks about the motor control amplifier which is right next to the motor.

2002-2006 Nissan Altima Sedan Blower Motor Removal Procedure | Nissan help

Old 01-13-15, 06:00 PM
yup

that's a leaf get it out or wait it out wont last forever