Wire-Type Spark Plug Gauge

Old 01-12-15, 12:23 PM
Wire-Type Spark Plug Gauge

I'm looking for a decent wire-type spark plug gauge and was hoping someone could recommend a brand/model. I at least need one that can measure 0.036" or very close to it. I also need a valve feeler gauge set, preferably with engraved values as opposed to printed. And the longer the better for measuring valve clearances. I have some Motion Pro tappets that range from 0.002" to 0.008" in 0.001" increments, but I need up to 0.011". Is it okay to double-up tappets to get the desired thickness when measuring valve clearances?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-12-15, 01:07 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I didn't know they still sold the wire type plug gauges. I have one in my tool box [it's old] but I prefer to use the type that is shaped something like a coin with an ever widening groove - I think it's easier to use. I've doubled with a feeler gauge more times than I can remember and never had any issues doing so.

If you find an engraved feeler gauge let us know! All I've ever used had the size printed on which can be a challenge to read over time.

Old 01-12-15, 01:51 PM
Yes, they still sell them and that is what the manual recommends. Of course that could be because the other types didn't exist back then (2007).

Old 01-12-15, 01:54 PM
Here ya go: OEM/26 blades master feeler gauge 25025 at AutoZone.com - 1 reviews

Not sure these will work for what I'm doing (checking valves). Pretty sure I need ones that have a bend, or at least that will make my job much easier.

Old 01-13-15, 07:53 AM
I like the "feel" of gapping with wire vs a flat shim or a coin-shaped feeler--but gapping plugs isn't a precise thing, anyway.
Also--as I was reminded weekend--newer vehicles with their hi-energy ignitions require larger gaps than my old wire gauges can handle. I needed .055" but my largest was .045" so I had to resort to the tapered coin after all :-)