cooling fan fuse blows repeatedly and causes all warning lights to go nuts

Old 01-19-15, 10:02 AM
cooling fan fuse blows repeatedly and causes all warning lights to go nuts

I have a 97 Chevy Cavalier Z24 manual transmission. I am repeatedly replacing the cooling fan fuse because it keeps blowing and when it blows, all of my dash lights go nuts, and my radio continuously turns on and off. It messes with ALL of my electrical. I had to remove the fuse for the anti theft system because it wouldn't let me start my car until I did. I don't know anything about wiring or even where to begin, though I've been told its probably a lose ground somewhere? but I can't afford a mechanic so any advice would be greatly appreciated.... Thank you

Sponsored Links
Old 01-19-15, 10:55 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Welcome to the forums.

A loose ground wire does not blow fuses. A loose hot wire touching a ground will blow fuses.
First, locate the fan motor. Then follow the wire(s) from the motor. Look for a loose connector or more likely a spot where the wire is touching a piece of metal. Check for a worn spot in the insulation and tape as needed.

Old 01-19-15, 04:22 PM
Woody got it right. You have hot short somewhere. Likely in fan itself.

Old 01-19-15, 04:42 PM
Super Moderator
I had a similar issue with a 2001 Mazda Tribute A/c fuse. There was no rhyme or reason to it. Hit a bump or pothole...pop. Turn right and accelerate uphill...pop. Sometimes....always sometimes, never always. Spent a few bucks having relays and such replaced and they traced the wiring and never found it...finally refunded most of my money and a young mechanic suggested I just put in a self resetting circuit breaker instead of replacing fuses. Even the owner slapped his head and apologized for not thinking of it. Had no more issues and it worked til we sold the car.

Not saying it was ideal, but I wasn't sinking hundreds more into a 14 y/o car.

Old 01-20-15, 11:13 AM
Hi, thank you... I wonder if it would be easier to just replace the cooling fan instead doing a self resetting circuit breaker like the first person suggested.... hmmm it looks like I have some research to do
Thanks again...

Old 01-20-15, 11:19 AM
Wow ~ that's crazy! Lol. I'll have to definitely research how to do a self resetting circuit breaker and if it would be easier to try replacing the fan first or not.
Thanks for the imput, I really appreciate it.

Old 01-20-15, 11:34 AM
Well, that's exciting lol! Sooo many wires to choose from, most being clustered together in tubing or tape ~ saaaweeet!! So if I start checking wires, I start at the fan, and make sure none are touching (exposed) or loose, repair and that should fix the problem? Maybe I'll start here, then move on from there and if nothing else, I can buy stock in fuses since they blow almost immediately lol.
Thanks for the advice, it's greatly appreciated

Old 01-20-15, 12:04 PM
Super Moderator
The circuit breaker just replaces the fuse, it's not an add on. It plugs right in in place of the fuse. Might need to leave the panel cover off since they are about 2 or 3 times longer than a fuse. About the size of a half stick of gum. Real gum, like Juicy Fruit...not the new fancy shmancy stuff.

Old 01-20-15, 05:35 PM
Hmmmm saaaweeeet! Interestingly enough, I disconnected the the fan and everything else got better ~ so maybe the fan motor is the problem??? I don't know what kind of tester I need to check it, but the fan itself spun freely when I messed with it ~ aren't they supposed to have a teeny bit of resistance??? Like manually checking an alternator?... Anyway, Thanks tons for the circuit breaker idea, I may end up trying it depending on what happens

Old 01-20-15, 05:54 PM
Super Moderator
It was just an idea. Sounds to me like you might need a new motor, but remember...with it disconnected there may be no bad path for the voltage. Maybe a place could test it?

With my problem and the A/C, it was no big deal if it went out for for a few minutes til the breaker reset. Cooling fan could be a big deal if yer in slow traffic.

Old 01-20-15, 06:28 PM
Yeah that's true, but right now I don't think that really matters, because it's like negative 2000° here right now lol! Jk... but it iS really freezing here