2000 Toyota Corolla battery/startup issue

Old 02-01-15, 10:44 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
2000 Toyota Corolla battery/startup issue

In December the battery on my Corolla died and replaced it with a brand new one.

It worked fine for a few weeks then all of a sudden the engine would not crank, lights radio come on but when starting up - one click and everything dies and I lose radio and lights.

I notice the post terminals were corroded so I cleaned them - no change, replaced them, no change and the wires themselves had no visible corrosion or damage.

The car jumps fine when I hook up cables from my truck to the battery and runs great but the moment I turn it off, it will not start.

Defective battery maybe? Just had it tested it and Came back 12.64v and 503 amps. So more than enough to get the car started.

I'm out of ideas, if it cranks fine with starter/jump cables then it must be something between key and battery (not battery to engine) right?

Help!

Old 02-01-15, 12:02 PM
Received 185 Upvotes on 166 Posts
Defective battery maybe? Just had it tested it and Came back 12.64v and 503 amps. So more than enough to get the car started.
Was that a load test? .........

Old 02-01-15, 12:10 PM
R
I took the battery down to advance autoparts to have it tested, I'm guessing I should've taken the entire vehicle down there to get it tested while running and get the alternator tested.

Old 02-01-15, 12:11 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
It sounds like there either isn't enough juice stored in the battery, bad connection or the battery isn't getting charged properly. As Joe asked, was the battery load tested? have you tested the alternator? checked the connection at the starter?

edit; it sounds like they did a load test but you really should go back with the vehicle so they can test the charging circuit.

Old 02-01-15, 01:36 PM
G
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
If you have access to a volt meter, get the engine started - jump or whatever - then check the voltage at the battery at fast idle. If you are not showing 14.5 - 15 volts, the alternator is probably shot. You can also look at the headlights with the engine off and then start it. If they do not brighten a bit you probably have an alternator problem.

Old 02-01-15, 01:37 PM
Received 62 Upvotes on 53 Posts
Well, if car starts off jumper cables, I am presuming - connected to battery cables, just like everyone does - then everything from the very tip of that cable clamp outside to the starter, including ignition switch, is OK.
That battery sure has nuff juice to crank. If a parts store proclaimed it good, then it's good.
Strange it may sound, but the only thing I may think off is that something is wrong between the battery poles and cables terminals INSIDE. Though OP claims all that was cleaned.
It's enigma. I vote for simply trying different known good battery, thus eliminating battery as culprit.

Hey, OP - how exactly do you have jumper cables connected? To the cables terminals on battery poles, or to the exposed cables BEFORE the terminals? Thing is, those terminal;s should have additional connection between the cable terminal and the cable itself. 10mm bold holding it all together. THAT connection goes corroded just like anything else.

Old 02-01-15, 01:44 PM
Those connections:

Old 02-01-15, 02:12 PM
R
I'm connecting the jumper cables to the battery over the connectors just like anybody else would I even replaced them thinking it may been something wrong with them but no change.

Baffled.

Old 02-01-15, 06:01 PM
Then it's weird battery. Try borrowing a known good battery and installing it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: