engine treatment

Old 02-06-15, 11:42 PM
engine treatment

Do anyone know if the best line engine treatment is as good as they claim it is.Would like to know before I use in 2008 f150.Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 02-07-15, 03:08 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I've never used it but it seems a bit pricey for me. IMO a good quality oil changed regularly is all you need.

Old 02-07-15, 03:48 AM
Unless you have a specific problem you should not use any engine additive. Perhaps an occasional carb or injector cleaner. Or gas line antifreeze if you think you've gotten an amount of water in your tank. As Marksr says, a quality oil at the proper intervals based on driving habits is all that is needed.

Old 02-07-15, 04:31 AM
I would think the best treatment for the OP would be Motorcraft 5W-20 Semi-Synthetc motor oil.

Or gas line antifreeze if you think you've gotten an amount of water in your tank
Most gasoline in this country has 10% ethanol, what better gas line antifreeze is there? I am surpried products like Heet, which is mostly alcohol, can still be found anywhere.

Old 02-07-15, 10:18 AM
I'm with you CasualJoe on the gas line anti freeze. I have been using Mobil 1 full synthetic for everything since the early 80's and couldn't be happier with it! Absolutely NO deposits in engine. I also use Top Tier gas and never need an additive.

Old 02-07-15, 01:02 PM
engine treatment

I will take everyone's advice and not use any additives in engine.Thanks for the advice

Old 02-07-15, 01:38 PM
Most gasoline in this country has 10% ethanol, what better gas line antifreeze is there? I am surpried products like Heet, which is mostly alcohol, can still be found anywhere.
Joe, you are correct. Gasoline is seasoned for the time of year and the local area its sold in. Yet, bottles and bottles of dry gas are sold daily. I tell people to use it sparingly and only if they think an usual amount of water might have got introduced to the tank. The most likely place that water might be introduced is a snowblower. As far as oil additives and other "enhancing" stuff goes I'll do what the Click and Clack the Tappit Brothers use to say...if the car is old and not worth having fixed properly then go ahead and try that junk.

Old 02-07-15, 03:55 PM
Super Moderator
As far as oil additives and other "enhancing" stuff goes I'll do what the Click and Clack the Tappit Brothers use to say...if the car is old and not worth having fixed properly then go ahead and try that junk.
Yes IMO all that stuff is snake oil.. Change oil regularly and you should have no issues..

Dont know how others feel about this but I have an older truck 1996. Only 150K miles. This winter it developed what sounded like a know in the lower end. Only when cold. Once it warmed up it went away..

So as the old timers taught me years ago, the engine may be gunked up.. Sticky lifter? Blocked oil passage..

So What I did when I was a quart low on oil I dropped in a quart of trans fluid. I was 500 miles from an oil change, so I drove the truck with the trans fluid for that 500 miles..

Well sound is gone. Seems like I have more power too. Additionally when I change the oil it was as black as the ace of spade. Not a normal oil color during a normal 5k mile oil change..

I believe marvels mystery oil is the same thing. Trans fluid..

If you have no knocks, taps, sounds then just change the oil and drive it...

I use Mobile one 5000 dino oil...

Old 02-07-15, 05:18 PM
I was going to go to an all synthetic oil in my new Ford Focus. But becuase I hardly put many miles on it (only 2800 miles since August) I figure it would be a waste since I'm not even doing a 6 month oil change. And besides, Ford is recommending 5k to 7k miles between changes for non-severe driving. I think at least a once a year change would be a good thing, so I'll just use the standard blend that Ford provides with the car. Also I'm told just to wait for the oil minder/analyzer to tell me when even if it a year away. My feelings is a year is too long. The car only gets driven 5 miles a day. Hardly enough to warm it up. However, that kind of driving is considered sever conditions. I think a 6 month change is due.

Old 02-07-15, 05:36 PM
I use Mobile one 5000 dino oil...
Mobil always had great motor oil, I loved it. You could open a quart of every motor oil known to man and with a blindfold I could pick out the Mobiloil just by the odor of the additives. Mobil Delvac included!

Old 02-07-15, 05:37 PM
I will take everyone's advice and not use any additives in engine.Thanks for the advice

I guess. Wished you well.

Old 02-08-15, 05:55 AM
I don't use additives either, but I do occasionally clean my system with Seafoam. I'm not sure if its popular nationwide, but around here it's pretty good at what it does. You can put it in your tank, oil pan a few hundred miles prior to a change, or directly into your PCV to get it directly down on the pistons. You can youtube it too I'm sure to see how to use it.

Anytime I have a vehicle that seems sluggish, or I buy a new "used" vehicle its one of the first things I do. Seems to really work, and it's beginning to turn up nearly everywhere, as it used to be hard to find.

Old 02-08-15, 10:03 AM
Lawrosa, I believe you mean Mobil 5000, Mobil 1 is all synthetic!

Search this Thread