Engine Oil Drips for CA Smog Check

Old 03-04-15, 02:04 PM
Engine Oil Drips for CA Smog Check

Does anyone know will engine oil drips (only 1-2 drops after drive and only about 1.5 quarts of engine oil in engine system) pass CA smog check?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-04-15, 03:01 PM
I don't think they have gotten to the point where they are concerned with oil drips yet but give them time! Should have no effect on a smog test, oil burning will though.

Old 03-04-15, 03:22 PM
So, it will not pass smog check if the mechanic smell oil burning after opening hood during the smog check?

Old 03-04-15, 03:29 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Where's leaking, out the tail pipe?
What's an oil leak in the engine have to do with a smog test?
There going to be testing what comes out the tail pipe.
Considered finding the leak and fixing it?

Old 03-04-15, 03:51 PM
I have 1990 Accord and have oil leak. I can't find where it exactly leaks from, but I do see some dripping from rear side of oil pan screws, rear side of oil pan gasket (just changed and still didn't fix leak problem), oil engine plug under oil filter and drip on muffler and burned. I also saw drip from sensor (engine temperature?) electric wire (runs on top of oil filter and away from engine block). I still can't see and sure where it leaks from. Every time I drive, I saw engine oil burning smoke coming out from under hood. I open to check and saw smog coming out from some where around under oxygen sensor next to exhaust manifold right next to the front of engine block and still can't find exactly where it comes from. Does anyone know where I should check for leak? By the way, I did change head gasket in Aug. 2011 and had no this issue until Fall 2014. Are these related?

I am asking whether engine oil leaks will pass CA smog check or not is because I can't find the leak and I don't want to spend any more money to fix leak by a mechanic. I plan to drive this car for another two years at the most due to tire tread depth still has 7/32", but will need another smog check in a few months. If this car will fail in smog check due to oil leak, I may just retire this car 6 months before CA smog check and get $1,000 from CA environmental department(?). I got a letter from this department every year for the last two years. For a car more than 20 years and still pass smog check, they want you to retire this old car by giving you $1,000. The condition is you have to retire 6 months before next smog check or can't fail at smog check.

Old 03-09-15, 04:31 PM
Found leak from loose oil pressure sending unit/switch. After tying it, leaks stop.