2001 Buick LeSabre - Transmission question and advice requested

Old 03-12-15, 08:06 AM
2001 Buick LeSabre - Transmission question and advice requested

Hi all,
Since getting my old Buick back on the road with a new Mass Air Flow sensor, I started to notice that when on the highway when my speed drops below 60mph, I feel the transmission dropping out of Overdrive into Drive. There's a slight delay when I apply a little more gas then it kicks right back in...
Does anyone know if this is serious or foretells some future transmission repairs and, what if anything can be done to remedy the problem?
The car has over 170K miles and I've been good about changing the Tranny filter/fluid every 60K-70K since I've owned it @30K miles. In fact, I changed it last August.

Part of the reason I ask, is that on one of the forum posts here recently, someone indicated that there are 'solenoid valves' or something that are the cause of problems like this & slipping that are a lot cheaper to replace than a full tranny rebuild and is worthwhile to try...

The Transmission is a GM 4T-60E (I'm pretty sure of the numbers & letter of the model). And I did add a 12oz shot of LubeGard, which I researched as something that wouldn't cause problems as some other reported 'Transmission fix in a bottle' do, or void the warranty but might help with slipping.
thanks,
greynold99

Sponsored Links
Old 03-12-15, 02:55 PM
Super Moderator
feel the transmission dropping out of Overdrive into Drive. There's a slight delay when I apply a little more gas then it kicks right back in...
That sounds normal to me.. My 4L60E trans does that. Although that is not coming out of overdrive. That is the torque converter unlocking and locking back up.

Let of the gas and give it gas again it at highway speeds and you will notice this. Its only a 200 rpm difference..

someone indicated that there are 'solenoid valves' or something that are the cause of problems like this & slipping that are a lot cheaper to replace than a full tranny rebuild and is worthwhile to try...
There are shift seloniods but if one of those failed you would throw a code and checkengine light will come on. Additionally the car will go into limp mode.. ( Ask me how I know?? )

The Transmission is a GM 4T-60E
The early designs had simple on or off lockup function while the later design can variably lock as to not feel the lock up occur.

Unless you experience something else then that simple lock up and unlock up... let us know...

Old 03-16-15, 06:56 AM
Reply to Lawrosa

Thanks Lawrosa.

I didn't mention that I had only added half of the LubeGard a month ago even though I researched it - advice on this forum suggested adding half the bottle initially and if there were no bad effects add the remainder after a week or so.
It seemed better on the first highway outing but the torque converter locking/unlocking issue you described still occurred though not as frequently; so I thought the LubeGard had actually helped.

However, when I did add the remainder, the transmission really misbehaved on the first outing - which was basically around town at no more than 30-45 mph. When I got home I checked the fluid level and found that I had inadvertently overfilled the trans fluid by about half a quart.
I have one of those JC Whitney oil change pumps that runs off the battery and I've only used it for transmission fluid; and once I pumped out half a quart, the transmission has been fine since for local trips. I've not taken it out on the highway yet.

I've probably overfilled transmissions by about that much before and haven't had a problem. What's your take on it? Could a half-quart more make that much difference?
thanks,
greynold99