1999 Olds Dash Lights Out

Old 03-14-15, 03:01 PM

Some of you may remember my original post concerning my inability to see the speedometer and tach at night in my 1999 Olds Delta 88 regency. Well the weather warmed up enough to park the car outside and follow the directions to dismantling the dash on the car. I succeeded in removing the instrument Cluster, and although the Auto parts dealer insisted the bulbs he gave me were correct for this car, I am looking at the back of the cluster and the bulbs are inserted in a plastic holder which says "replace entire assembly" I have a feeling that this means replace the entire cluster (I did NOT try to twist the holder to see if it would pop out of the board). I have a feeling this "entire assembly" is going to cost more that the car is worth (by the book). Is this as bad as I think it is?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-14-15, 10:47 PM
Group Moderator
Yes... I remember your thread.

No.... you don't replace the cluster. You turn the knob 1/4 turn counterclockwise and the lamp and socket come out. In the picture below I would expect to see the socket and bulb shown on the right. The one on the left is an example of all-in-one replacement.

Name:  socket.jpg
Views: 283
Size:  32.1 KB

Try taking one out and see what you have. You may see a lot of sockets. You could see one for every idiot light, directionals, hi beam indicator, etc. Typically there would be three or four dedicated to just cluster lighting. When you take the socket out... the dead bulbs will be dark/black like in the picture.

Old 03-15-15, 06:51 AM
Olds Dash Lights Out

Pete,

The light sockets definitely resemble the light blue one on the left in your picture. If those will twist out, then I still have the wrong individual bulbs then as the "entire assembly" printed on the back of the ones in the cluster. I will will know in a minute! I think you just made my day!

Thanks!

WML13

Old 03-15-15, 01:13 PM
Olds Dash Lights Out

I had to drive across town to find the bulbs but a large NAPA had them. The Associate there had seen these before and new how much torque had to be applied to them to remove the big bulbs and holders. (quite a bit) We could not see a smoking gun (or obviously burned out Bulb) in any of the ones we removed, but I replaced them all, and I just put the whole thing back in the car without tightening anything down too tight. I could not see a change in the lighting in the bright sun, but will be out to look tonight. If the bulbs are not it, it must be a break in the board. Any Ideas on a source and or GM Part # if that is the case?

Old 03-15-15, 02:45 PM
Group Moderator
So what did you need..... a combo bulb and socket or did the bulbs pull out of the sockets ?

I remember you starting out questioning how to change bulbs in your first thread. I don't remember any discussion about being dim.

Normally, the bulbs will go out one by one. It is very rare for the entire dash to go dead at once. If it does go dead at once then it's not a bulb issue. It could be in the big connecting plug on the back of the cluster. Can we assume that other parts of the dash, like the heating controls and radio, dim and work correctly ?

Old 03-15-15, 06:27 PM
Olds Dash Lights out

Hi Pete,

With the dash back together and all wiring in place, I still have no lights on behind the Speedo and Tach. I do have lights to the rest of the cluster (all the small ones) I have all new self contained bulb and sockets in place behind the speedo and tach. I may have found something else that could be an issue. There is a small control panel to the left of the cluster that allows me to set a "twilight" timing for the lights to turn off from right now to 3 minutes. Right below that and part of the same switch is a dimmer control that is supposed to dim or increase the brightness in the cluster, as well as turn the overhead (map) lights on and off. This "dimmer" will do the latter, but will not do anything else. This "control" has it's own power source coming from under the dash and has a miriad of wires going into it. This control is the only smoking gun that I have right now. Where can I get a part number for a replacement? It would be an easy change out with all the panels and covers loose.

Old 03-15-15, 10:26 PM
Group Moderator
When in the dark and you turn on the parking lights...... do any of the lights anywhere on the dash come on or are they all dead ?

Your never left a model so I couldn't look the part up. There may be a fuse in the fuse box for dash/inst. lamps. See if this picture is for your car........

Name:  fuse panel.JPG
Views: 911
Size:  44.8 KB

Old 03-16-15, 06:20 AM

This car is a 1999 Olds Delta 88 Regency (80000) miles. If I am in the dark and turn on lights, parking or main headlights, all of the lights that are supposed to come on, INCLUDING the lower small warning lights in the Cluster Box. Radio, HVAC everything, comes on. EXCEPT the Speedometer and TACH. I will match the fuse box diagram with mine and get back to you about that on a return post. The dimmer switch part I spoke to you about does not increase OR decrease the light intensity of ANY of the aforementioned lights (the ones that DO come on)

Thanks!

Old 03-16-15, 08:28 AM
Olds Dash Lights out

Pete,

The picture of the fuse panel you sent is not for my Delta 88 Regency. My fuse panel in the manual lists two fuse boxes. The one closest to the Cluster lists fuse location 9C as Battery, radio, cluster, and 1D as Ignition (Run Crank) Chime, Cluster All are functioning except the large bulbs behind the speedo inside the cluster itself.

The Relay panel on the passenger side does not list one for the Cluster.

thanks again!

Old 03-29-15, 07:39 PM

I ordered and installed a new dimmer switch for the car, which made no difference in regard to the lights out issue. Does anyone know where I can get a schematic for the dash on this car? I,m thinking that I have a break in the board, or a bad wire.