2001 Buick Regal got oil change- now no brakes.

Old 03-16-15, 08:39 AM
2001 Buick Regal got oil change- now no brakes.

A few days ago I let a guy change my oil, right after I got in car brakes went down to floor, still work but only when on floor. Also the parking brake light is stuck on. Put brake fluid in already it was about half full. Ideas please

Sponsored Links
Old 03-16-15, 08:49 AM
Group Moderator
Welcome to the forums.

That sure sounds like a brake line leak. With the age of that vehicle if it was here in NJ I would say one of the metal lines rusted thru. In your case you may have lost one of the rubber lines from the frame to the calipers.

Take a flashlight and check behind both front tires.
I can't see how changing the oil would cause the problem unless the guy damaged a line without realizing it.

Old 03-16-15, 08:51 AM
Any ideas would be appreciated

Old 03-16-15, 08:54 AM
Thank you for your response. How could he have damaged lines. I've had no problems with brakes

Old 03-16-15, 09:10 AM
Group Moderator
He may not have damaged anything. You appear to have a brake fluid leak. Whether it's from old age or something that recently happened..... you'll need to investigate where the fluid is leaking. It should also puddle on the ground making it easier to see.

Old 03-16-15, 09:44 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I agree it sounds like a brake line leak. Once you find the leak it should be readily apparent whether it was caused by damage or rust. Most likely it's just a coincidence. There are hard steel lines from the master cylinder that branch off and go to each wheel. The front wheels will have a brake hose that connects the hard line to the brake caliper.

Old 03-16-15, 12:15 PM
When you filled the brake fluid reservoir did the red brake warning light go off?

Search this Thread