Used Tires?

Old 03-22-15, 09:30 PM
Used Tires?

1996 Acura Integra with 220K miles that needs 4 new tires. Don't want to invest too much in the tires because they will likely outlast the car.

Any thought on buying used tires?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-22-15, 10:57 PM
I'd start at the auto junk yard.
Often times it's possible to find them there that look brand new.

Old 03-22-15, 11:19 PM
Super Moderator
But check the DOT number on the side for the age.

No used tire places out there? We must have 3 or so in my little town. Also, check Craigslist and whatever Auto Shopper type things you may have.

Old 03-23-15, 03:06 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Many tire places will sell "pull offs" at a reduced price. My helpers do this a couple of times a year. I guess it's because I don't pay them enough Just kidding. They seem to find pretty good bargains. I can see why. Tires for my Ram dually cost over $120 each. They get pull offs for $20.

Old 03-23-15, 03:56 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
While I haven't bought used tires in a long time, that used to be what I bought most often. I don't recall ever having any issues although I always inspected the tires first. Locally we have several used tire stores, junkyards and want ads are also a good source.

Old 03-23-15, 05:07 AM
I did the same as marksr years ago. We have a used tire dealer here in Buffalo, NY. You get what you pay for.

Old 03-23-15, 10:23 AM
Group Moderator
Might be tough to find four that match to any degree. I will buy a used tire if I have to replace one of four due to damage partway through their life but I would tend to buy four new ones and just don't pay for something with an 80,000 mile warranty.

Old 03-23-15, 11:29 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Welcome to the forums kendil!

What makes you think a used tire won't be durable? I've gotten a lot of trouble free miles out of used tires. If the tires on your vehicle are a year old, they are no longer new - are they no longer durable ?? As with buying anything used you need to inspect and know what you are buying! I have bought a matching set of 4 used tires more than once. I no longer need to buy used tires but if my finances dictated it I wouldn't be hesitant to buy used again.

Old 03-23-15, 11:56 AM
Last fall I put 4 really nice off road style tires on my truck to act as all season and deep snow tires, love them. But, they charge $3 per tire to dispose of the old ones and my town takes them at no charge. When I got the bill, sure enough, there was the $12 for disposal. I reminded them I had specifically said just toss them in the back of the truck. Confusion was abundant and one guy said he couldn't find the old ones. While we finished the paperwork, the boss came through the door and said the old ones are in the back of the truck, with no further explanation. The old ones weren't in bad shape, I just wanted brand new ones.

My guess is they were already in the back of one of the mechanics trucks or in a pile to be resold. So they were charging me for the recycle and then selling them for extra cash. Double dipping I presume .

I actually didn't take them to the trash compactor, just stacked them at the end of my driveway with a FREE sign and they were gone in 15 minutes. And I didn't pay that $12 recycling fee.

But yes, I know many who get lots of extra miles out of used tires.

Bud

Old 03-23-15, 12:54 PM
Twenty years ago or so, I used to run on re-treads. We had a company up here that had an excellent reputation for inspecting old tire casings, stripping off the worn tread, and then re-treading them with a nice functional all-season or winter tire tread.

You could look at the sidewall and see the original manufacturer; but the name of the re-tread company was prominently displayed in the new rubber. And the most popular sizes were always in stock . . . . especially pick-up truck tires.

If you wanted, you could ask to have your own tires re-capped; but that was a bit more expensive and time consuming. I never had a problem with the tread ever breaking lose, or anything beyond what you'd experience with any new tire.

But they went out of business.

Old 03-24-15, 05:07 AM
Group Moderator
Might want to do some checking. I did a quick look-up on my favorite tires direct website and they have 195/55-15 tires (that's the default size for your car) for $48.97 delivered. So for about $300, installed, you would have new tires that could add some value when you do sell, vice the next owner (unless you junk it) talking down your price because the tires are almost shot.

Old 03-24-15, 07:18 AM
Super Moderator
Vermont, I don't think that's even available anymore, except for big truck tires and possibly industrial machines.

Old 03-24-15, 09:08 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I know some folks say retreads when they really mean recaps. I've run my share of recaps with decent results. Generally if they fail. it's in the 1st month .... as long as you keep them properly inflated. I assume you can still get recaps although I haven't bought any in about 15 yrs or so.

Old 03-24-15, 09:29 AM
Super Moderator
Several articles online about it, most from a few years back. Basically, because of the minimal price difference and the much wider range of passenger car tires (both sizes and designated uses) they just aren't cost effective. Big truck tires are in more limited sizes and basically get used the same way. Same with a lot of off road truck and ATV tires. Those three seem to be still pretty available.

Old 03-24-15, 10:11 AM
Adding to The Tow Guy's comment; You could easily get Full Usage out of a new set of tires with an Acura with 220K on the odometer.

If you buy used now, you could be looking for yet another set of tires before your car moves on to the afterlife.

Old 03-24-15, 10:14 AM
Every year when we get abnormally warm days in spring to early summer, I see literally dozens of truck caps along the highways and sometimes with some big black skid marks. I have always found a way to buy new tires when I needed them.