2005 Suburban suspension question

Old 04-04-15, 09:11 AM
2005 Suburban suspension question

2005 Suburban makes a low rumbling sound which sounds like it is coming from under the middle back of the vehicle. The sound resembles going over rumble strips but not quite as extreme. I have checked the spare tire to make sure that it was tight under the vehicle and it is. I thought maybe the drive shaft but there are no other signs( like clunking when shifting into reverse or drive) . I do need new shocks but I don't think shocks would make this type of noise. All bushings are good so I'm kind of stumped. The vehicle is 4x4 so now I am thinking maybe the shaft from tranny to transfer case is going. But then again I only hear the noise going over bumps. Even the smallest of bumps I can hear the noise. Any suggestions on what to look for would be appreciated. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 04-04-15, 09:37 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Have you checked the exhaust? maybe the driveshaft?

Old 04-04-15, 10:27 AM
Sounds like you may have written off U joints because you don't have a clunk when engaging the transmission, so, if you haven't, I would definitely start with them. Not at all uncommon for a vehicle like that. I like to block the tires opposite the axle I am checking, and put the transmission or transfer case in neutral, then begin the inspection. The last set I put in my 2500 Ram had no clunks whatsoever, and I had even checked and written them off about two weeks earlier, but went back and found that both of the rear ones were shot.

Old 04-04-15, 03:07 PM
I have checked the drive shaft and the exhaust marksr. I forgot to mention that when posting.AKA Pedro I checked the drive shaft underneath the vehicle as well. There was no play in the drive shaft. Please explain how you checked your u joints. Please remember guys this sound only happens when I go over bumps. This thing has got me boggled pretty bad. I'm usually good at locating the sound and what the problem is but man I'm stumped.

Old 04-04-15, 03:40 PM
As I said, I usually block the tires on the axle that I am not checking, front obviously if it's two wheel drive, and put the transmission in neutral, because sometimes you won't see movement if everything is tight. If you have a floor jack and auxiliary stands, even better to raise the tires off the ground. Grab the drive shaft, turn it some, and watch for any abnormal movement. If I don't see any that way, I will generally use a long sturdy screwdriver, because it's usually hard to fit anything bigger in there, and gently pry between the joint and yoke to see if any movement. And I'm not saying that's what it is, but, again, it's where I would start. I understand that it only happens on bumps, but keep in mind that's the reason you have these joints in the first place; to twist, change elevation, etc. If things didn't move independent of one another, the drive shaft could be bolted directly to the transmission and differential. Which reminds me of one more thing, Don't know how common it is on more recent vehicles, but it used to be that you had to grease the yoke, lest it would not slide smoothly on the splines, and that was not good.

Old 04-04-15, 04:19 PM
Thanks aka Pedro. I'll give it a checking out.

Search this Thread