2006 Chevy Trailblazer transmission problem

Old 04-15-15, 05:48 PM
2006 Chevy Trailblazer transmission problem

I have a 2006 Chevy Trailblazer LS L6 4.2L vin S 256ci MFI GAS - DOHC electronically controlled 4-speed automatic transmission. This is a transmission problem that started at the end of February 2015. What happened started one morning when I was going to work and was not gradual over a period of time. As a matter of fact, everything was fine Friday night when I came home. It was Monday morning as I was going to work, I noticed when I hit about 55 to 60 mph the rpms would hold steady at about 1500 rpms and after about 10 minutes traveling to work I noticed the rpms started "jumping" up to 1700 and then back to 1500 rpms, back and forth constantly. It felt like the vehicle was having problems getting gas, kind of choking and sputtering but then I dropped down to 45 mph and everything was fine. I gradually accelerated back to 55 mph and it happened again so I drove the remainder of the time at 45. When I drove home, I experimented and found that when I stayed at 45 mph or less, no problem. The same applied if I went 70 mph or more. Everyone told me that I had a bad shift sensor in the transmission. Due to weather issues, I never got a chance to replace the sensor. This past Monday as I drove home from work, the rpms shot up 2500 to 3000 when I was going 45 mph and eventually the Trailblazer would not move. I looked under the hood but didn't see anything so I got back in the vehicle and put the shift in drive but nothing happened except the rpms shot up to 2500 to 3000. I shifted through drive, 3rd, 2nd and 1st but nothing happened when I tried to accelerate. I ended up shutting the vehicle off and then re-started it and was able to drive for about 5 minutes before this "new" problem occurred. I was able to shut it off and re-start again but I was only able to drive about 3 minutes before the problem occurred. Each time I able to re-start and drive but at less and less driving lengths until I got home. No repairs have been made yet but I did check the tranny fluid when I got home. It was almost clear looking, only a faint pink color on the rag when I wiped it off and also, it was above where it should have been when it was running hot and when it was cold but the vehicle wasn't on level ground when I checked it. I live on a slight incline. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-15-15, 07:34 PM
i am going to assume there is a light of somesort comming on your dash. i would have codes ran first

Old 04-16-15, 05:13 AM
Temporarily Suspended
The codes are what you need. However, you could do a hard reset first. Disconnect the positive cable from the battery & hold it to the negative terminal for a minute. It won't spark or anything. It will reset the computer. If the cable doesn't reach, use a wrench or something to make the connection.

Old 04-16-15, 05:38 AM
Group Moderator
You didn't say how many miles are on it.

I don't want to panic you, but I just had to have the tranny in my wrecker rebuilt and I had to limp it in to the tranny shop pretty much as you describe. Every time I would hit a stop sign I had to shut engine off and then restart to get movement back. After opening it up and seeing the guts he said he wasn't sure how I had even gotten there.

Old 04-16-15, 07:41 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Transmission fluid is clear? Light pink? To me, that ain't right. How long has it been since the fluid has been changed? Old, worn out, used up, fluid may have caused your issues. You didnt mention its consistency or a smell. Did it feel & smell like transmission fluid or was it thinner/thicker/gummy or have a smell of any sort? However, now its sounds like its a little too late to change the fluid.

Old 04-16-15, 04:28 PM
Thank you everyone...

Thank you for all the help. It is what it is but I will start with the low cost fixes first and if it comes to rebuilding the tranny, what ya going to do? I have always relied on the input I have found here in these forums. So again, thank you everyone.

For Dixie 2012, besides the tranny fluid being between clear to light pink color, it smells like tranny fluid and it does not appear to be thicker or thinner than tranny fluid out of the plastic bottle and it certainly it isn't gummy or smell burnt.

To the tow guy, 109,000 miles and just wondering what the rebuild ran you?

Lastly, how do I check the codes?

Old 04-17-15, 05:34 AM
Group Moderator
It's a GM 4L80E, $2059.75 total.

Long laundry list of parts that had to be replaced because it failed so badly. Not the first tranny in the truck [I'm at 672,000 miles], but first one to fail so badly and without warning.

For an '06 you'll need a scanner/reader, unfortunately. My '94 I can jumper pins in the diagnostic connector and count CEL flashes.

You could still get lucky and it be an input speed sensor, solenoid, or something electronic; 109,000 miles is not a lot unless it gets severe use.

Any good independent tranny shops in your area? I stress independent because I'm not a big fan of the tranny franchise places.

Old 04-18-15, 06:24 AM
To tow guy...ouch on that rebuild price but I'm not stupid, realistically I figured it would run me roughly a grand or two and I really like my Trailblazer. I'm not ready to part with it yet. Yes, there are independent shops in the area and I was planning on steering (no pun intended) clear of a franchise shop. I'm holding out hope for a cheaper fix but I'm also setting myself up for the worse in case it comes to that. Again, thank you and thank you everyone for all your help.

Old 04-18-15, 08:53 AM
Group Moderator
Yours could be cheaper; mine gets heavy duty parts and as I mentioned this go-round it needed a lot of extra parts because of the catastrophic failure.

Old 04-25-15, 01:16 PM
torque specs

Where would I find reliable torque specs for the tranny pan bolts? Thanks.

Old 04-26-15, 09:07 AM
Group Moderator
They're 17 ft.lb. on my 4L80E, not sure about your tranny.