2003 ford explorer running rough when wet/damp

Old 04-20-15, 12:00 PM
2003 ford explorer running rough when wet/damp

Hi all,

I have a 2003 ford explorer 6 cyl. 4.0 with 70,000 miles that the engine runs fine when it is dry out. Recently, every time it rains out and/or the air is damp when I drive it, it runs very rough almost to the point of stalling but it doesn't. It runs rough enough that when stepping on it there is hardly no power and it is rough. After driving it for several miles it finally starts to go away and the engine is normal again. I replaced the plugs and wires about a year and half ago. WHile this happens there is no check engine or service soon light on. I can tell you about 3 years ago we had an issue with misfiring but the service engine soon light would flash which according to Fords literature, the light will flash to warn of a misfire. The light is not coming on so it may not be misfiring. ANything else come to mind what it could be and how to troubleshoot. I was going to idle it tonight and open the hood and get a spray bottle and spray some water around all the wires and spark plugs to see if that would show anything. Maybe this shouldn't be done for some reason. THanks for the help.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-20-15, 12:04 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
My first thought was plug wires, have you double checked them to make sure they are all tight and still in good shape?

Old 04-20-15, 12:12 PM
I will double check them tonight as I don't have the vehicle right now. Would looking at it at night with spray bottle in hand show some arcing if it was that?

Old 04-20-15, 12:21 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
It should ..............................

Old 04-21-15, 09:33 AM
Mist the coil pack as well to see if it has any unseen cracks.

Old 04-21-15, 09:49 AM
I sprayed everything good last night coil and wires as well as ll around engine while in park at idle. No arcing or changes in engine sound. I will keep investigating.

Search this Thread