1991 plymouth acclaim overflow reservoir needed?

Old 05-06-15, 02:02 PM
1991 plymouth acclaim overflow reservoir needed?

Hello Everyone, I just had a newly rebuilt jasper engine in my acclaim and it runs great but I just found out that the overflow reservoir has a small crack near the top of the overflow line marked on the bottle. does anyone know where i can get another new or used one. I have been searching the internet and cannot find one for this year car. my mechanic is going to a poxy it and it should hold, but i still want to get another one. any ideas? also can i run the car without the overflow bottle in it? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 05-06-15, 02:11 PM
Temporarily Suspended
Use JB Weld for your epoxy. That should be the end of it. If you still want to replace it, call some local junk yards.

Old 05-06-15, 06:00 PM
junk yards. I'd have taken it out and epoxied. Just make sure it's:
1. very rough where epoxy will be applied
2. perfectly dry and de-greased.

Old 05-07-15, 04:35 AM
Group Moderator
Also lots of styles of universal aftermarket tanks available, unless you're determined to keep original equipment (other than the Jasper engine).

Old 05-07-15, 04:47 AM
its being epoxied now. hope they know about making it a rough before applying it.

Also, i dont need original equipment, do you have an email address for universal aftermarket tanks?
Thanks

Old 05-07-15, 04:55 AM
Group Moderator
Pretty much just google it. Dorman, among others, make a bunch of different ones.

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q...lant+reservoir

Old 05-07-15, 07:11 AM
JB Weld will start peeling off in about a year. Reservoir is plastic and it changes shape as temp changes and vehicle moves. JB product is very rigid resin and does not confirm to such changes. Semi flexible resin is a better option. Even smarter is to patch over with fiberglass, as re-enforcement. That's why it needs to be roughened - so that plastic develops fibers, anchoring resin to the surface. Easy for me to say, I have access to polyurethane semi flex resins that never truly harden. Did son's Civic reservoir last year.
There is no financial reason to buy a new canister though. Good patch works like a champ for years.

Old 05-07-15, 01:05 PM
Ok, I just talked to my mechanic and he said those universal reservoirs are no good because he said something like, they have to be pressurized. anyone know what that means?

Old 05-07-15, 02:08 PM
Temporarily Suspended
The only pressure in the reservoir is when the cap opens & lets the anti freeze flow into it.. Nothing else is pressuring it, AFAIK.

Old 05-07-15, 02:34 PM
Ok, thanks, what does "afaik" mean?

Old 05-07-15, 02:44 PM
Temporarily Suspended
AFAIK means as far as I know. I know that there are many acronyms also called nyms & it's impossible to know all of them. urbandictionary.com is a good reference site. They go beyond nyms. There are other sites that just handled acronyms. giyf.com can take you there.

Old 05-08-15, 08:43 AM
Group Moderator
OK, hold the fort. The Acclaim might be a system with the catch tank part of the pressurized system. In that case, though, a repair would be questionable, too. Easy to tell the difference by looking at the cap on the tank. Simple flip-up lid is not pressurized; screw-on type, probably with pressure info printed on it, would be a pressurized tank.