gas door pops open by itself sometimes

Old 05-11-15, 08:03 AM
gas door pops open by itself sometimes

Now and then I'm noticing that the gas door (hinged body part that opens to access the fuel filler cap) has popped open by itself. The issue so far is intermittent. There's an electric release button/switch located on the drivers door that when pressed opens the gas door. When you press the button the door pops open as it should just fine. After fueling you just shut the door and it seems to latch/catch and hold just fine, not loose or anything. Then later, maybe the next day or whenever, I notice the door has popped open again, by itself. Didn't accidentally press the button and nobody else like kids or messing with it. Car is a 2005 Kia Optima. I have a Haynes repair for the vehicle but it doesn't seem to include any specific info related to the issue. I googled some but most remotely opened gas door issues are that it won't open with the switch, but my issue isn't that. I guess there's probably a relay involved in the electric switch that pops the door open. Maybe that's "going bad"? Any other thoughts/suggestions/comments appreciated about this. Oh and I've already ruled out gremlins too.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-19-15, 02:17 AM
Maybe the switch contact points are too close and when you close the door, the switch is bumped and the gas door is open. Either that or there is a cut in the wires and they are shorting out, causing the door to open. That is all I can think of. I would pop off the door panel. Inspect the switch and see if its okay.
You can also even disconnect the switch, fill your tank first, and drive a few days and see if the door pops open. Worth a try.

Old 05-19-15, 08:54 AM
Group Moderator
I have a mechanical latch that does the same thing. As near as I can figure the plastic latch hook on the door is worn and as I drive sometimes the body shifts enough to cause the latch to release.

Old 05-19-15, 10:04 AM
Okay thanks for the replies/suggestions. I'll keep those things in mind. It hasn't done it in a while, I noticed. Maybe gremlins fixed it.

Old 05-19-15, 10:33 AM
Group Moderator
I would lubricate the latch.

Old 05-19-15, 11:59 AM
If it keeps happening maybe I'll duct tape it shut after each fillup. The car is gray/silver duct tape colored so that'd be a bonus. Duct tape over the rust spots too while I'm at it.

Old 05-19-15, 03:30 PM
Group Moderator
Ha Ha, if I could find some Dark Blue duct tape that matches my F-150 I would do that too!

Old 05-19-15, 03:41 PM
How about some painters masking tape XSleeper? dark blue that would work nicely maybe

Old 05-19-15, 03:56 PM
Group Moderator
Ha Ha, the painters tape is a little too light blue. Thanks for thinking of me though!

Search this Thread