Rubber bushing slipped out of my shocks, fixable?

Old 05-11-15, 09:35 AM
Rubber bushing slipped out of my shocks, fixable?

So I have a s10 s15 or t15 small blazer, I dont know the difference.
So the bushings came out of the shocks and im curious if they can be put back in or do I have to buy new ones? in my budget....new ones arent so affordable.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-11-15, 09:44 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Where were the bushing? pics could be helpful - http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...your-post.html

Old 05-11-15, 09:52 AM
Its the through hole bushing on top that the bolt slots through. When I drive it knocks up a storm and I have taken it in to have it looked at by Les schwab and they couldnt find anything wrong. So I looked myself and notice the problem immediately.
Name:  fghgd.jpg
Views: 232
Size:  10.6 KB

Old 05-11-15, 09:59 AM
Group Moderator
There is a bolt that goes thru the shock, and that rubber bushing, that holds the shock in place. The bushing can't just "come out".

Is the shock bolt missing ?
Is the shock bolt still in place with the bushing missing ? Is yes then the wrong bolt was used and the washer type head wasn't large enough to keep the bushing in place or the bushing rotted away.

Old 05-11-15, 10:07 AM
You see how there are 2 round shims holing it in place? Maybe If I put a washer on either end of those it will keep it in. Call that a keeper. keeper inner.

Attachment 50419
Attachment 50420

Old 05-11-15, 10:15 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Usually there is a washer on each side of the bushing. I've never had the bushing come out except sometimes while removing the shock. The bolt is still there, right?

Old 05-11-15, 10:25 AM
The bolt is still there and washers are still there. The washers are like cylinder spacers and the bushing has slipped over it. Most likely from the time I took it to the dunes or the time I want running over mashing machines.... All that abuse and I get a bad shock lol

Old 05-11-15, 10:26 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
There is a metal sleeve that goes thru the bushing [and the bolt goes thru the sleeve] there is usually a big washer on each side of the bushing.

Old 05-11-15, 10:28 AM
Im going to remove it and see if I can shove it back in with a vise. If not then I'm sure I have to buy a new shock that I cant afford.

Old 05-11-15, 10:32 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
So far I see no reason for you to have to replace the shocks. It might take some effort but the bushing should slip back in. It's rarely ever a good idea to replace just one shock - they get replaced in pairs.

Old 05-11-15, 10:48 AM
Well I actually had a replacement and I was getting ready to put in a set of Gabriels. Well some one stole my shocks over night and now im just to broke to even buy new ones.

Old 05-11-15, 10:54 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
rubber bushing with a sleeve inside it. very hard to reinstall without a press. I can't see how the bushing came out with it still in truck. If gone usually worn out and I don't know where you will get a replacement bushing.

Old 05-26-15, 05:38 AM
If gone usually worn out and I don't know where you will get a replacement bushing.
Poly-graphite bushings are readily available from aftermarket suspension vendors such as-

PST | Polygraphite Bushings | Poly Bushings | Performance Poly