Toyota not charging auxiliary battery properly

Old 05-14-15, 11:59 AM
Toyota not charging auxiliary battery properly

At work, we have a 2013 Toyota RAV4 that has been modified into a satellite uplink vehicle. An auxiliary battery has been added in parallel, along with a battery isolating solenoid, controlled by a Kussmaul 091-139-2-12 Auto Isolator. The issue is that the auxiliary battery is not receiving proper charging from the alternator. My question is where and how does this Toyota regulate and charge it's battery. Is there a conventional voltage regulator, or is it some sort of software-driven application? I can't seem to find a diagram & I'm trying to avoid having to deal with the dealership if possible.
I know this is a vague & confusing question...
Thanks,
Andy

Sponsored Links
Old 05-14-15, 04:25 PM
Fixed!

After a LOT of head scratching & good old-fashioned troubleshooting, I found the problem. It was an incorrectly set voltage control inside the battery isolator itself. All is good.
Thanks,
Andy

Old 05-14-15, 04:29 PM
Group Moderator
I had just typed up a reply for you but see you've got the repair well in hand.

Old 05-14-15, 06:02 PM
Just to add for future reference, I don't know what Toyota does, but you mention "Is there a conventional voltage regulator, or is it some sort of software-driven application?" My wife drives a 2012 CRV and to our dismay it has a software controlled regulator, the dismay is because they have a glitch in the software where it fails to charge under some conditions.

Glad you found the problem as finding out how to work around a software issue would be very difficult.

Bud

Old 05-16-15, 07:06 PM
Thanks guys. Let's just say that the problem "seems" to be fixed. If it crops up again, I'll look to see if there are any service bulletins for an issue like Honda has.
Andy