parts cleaners

Old 05-18-15, 10:29 AM
parts cleaners

It's about time to retire my old 5 gallons of Agitene, and getting a little older, thinking of ways to make it easier for my wife or whoever to deal with in case I happen to do like a few of my buddy's and just not wake up some morning, and, who knows, maybe make my environment a bit better for me while I'm still using it, so am wondering about trying something like Simple Green or similar product for cleaning dirty, often greasy, parts. The usual stuff, overhauling a carburetor or small engine, and maybe a few not so common things too, like rebuilding the chucks for my metal lathe, so things that get a bit more grimy inside. I have about a 20-30 gallon dunk tank, so enough capacity, and was thinking of say a gallon of concentrate that I could mix with something like 4-5 gallons of water, then, maybe rather than letting it get old, drain it for the winter, and start the spring off with new. Just not sure how any of this "friendly" stuff stacks up against more traditional cleaners like Agitene, etc. Any thoughts, opinions, or experiences? Oh, and maybe this belongs under "cleaning", but figured some of the car people may have more experience with it.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-18-15, 10:41 AM
Group Moderator
Be careful with Simple Green, Purple Power or whatever color. From the jug they are strong alkalis and can give you alkali burns if you handle it long enough with bare hands. Even diluted they are tough on your skin so gloves would still be a good idea. You also want to be careful about leaving soft metals like aluminum in it for long periods and make sure you thoroughly rinse the parts off after cleaning.

Old 05-18-15, 11:57 AM
I've gotten into the habit of wearing gloves more often than I used to, even with the Agitene, and knew at some point, but had forgotten about how caustic some of those "green" cleaners can be, so good to know. See, glad that I asked! May just stick with something like I have. Soft metals, I typically clean with something like WD40 on a rag, but never put in the cleaner. Many moons ago I happened to see a guy open a hot tank that he had put a bunch of parts off of something in, and there was a glob of silver colored material floating on the surface, which turned out to be the remnants of his bearings or something else, can't recall any more. Anyway, that was enough to cause me to be very careful with things like that.