Jack for changing break pads 1999 Toyota Corolla

Old 05-24-15, 11:26 AM
Jack for changing break pads 1999 Toyota Corolla

Hello. I have to change the brake pads on my car. Can you recommend a jack. I don't think I have to get very far under the car for this job but don't want to take any unnecssary risks. I have the standard jack that comes w/ the car for putting a spare tire on. Question whether it is sturdy enough. Any other safety tips appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited by TonySexton; 05-24-15 at 11:27 AM. Reason: Spelling. "Break" to brake
Sponsored Links
Old 05-24-15, 11:28 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Sounds like a good time to go out and buy a floor jack, even the small ones work well. It's always a good idea to use a jack stand rather than rely on any jack.

Old 05-24-15, 02:43 PM
Group Moderator
What Mark said.

For light DIY you can get by with a small trolley jack rather than a full size floor jack. One like this, which happens to include jack stands:

http://www.amazon.com/Torin-T82001S-...s=trolley+jack

Do NOT work without jack stands and especially do not substitute a cinder block for a jack stand.

Old 05-24-15, 05:58 PM
So, just use the trolley jack and don't mess w/ the stands?

Old 05-24-15, 08:40 PM
Also, should the parking brake be on when I use the trolley jack, or is just putting the car in park sufficient?

Old 05-24-15, 10:14 PM
Super Moderator
Never, ever be under a car supported only by a jack. If the stock jack will lift far enough, then just get some stands and slip them in after it's lifted.

Please correct your registration info. You are not a lawyer in Detroit. Honesty is the best policy.

Old 05-25-15, 03:39 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Park/parking brake, it really doesn't matter as long as the vehicle won't roll! While many of us don't use jack stands while working to the side of the vehicle you never ever want to crawl under the vehicle without having jack stands in place! Floor jacks are handy but can occasionally fail or leak down and if you are under the vehicle .....

Old 05-25-15, 04:19 AM
Group Moderator
Do NOT work without jack stands and especially do not substitute a cinder block for a jack stand.
Thought I was pretty clear on that.....

Old 05-25-15, 04:21 AM
Group Moderator
On the parking brake issue, YES, put on parking brake. If you are on a slope and raise a front wheel, the vehicle is going to roll even if it's in park. Function of the differential.

Old 05-25-15, 05:05 AM
Generally speaking, the jack that is provided with a vehicle is pretty much single purposed, to change a flat tire, but some of them are pretty decent,and it's always good to know how it works before having to use it along a highway in less than ideal circumstances, so there's nothing wrong with trying it. But, as mentioned, you need auxiliary support stands as well,so the key is whether or not your jack will raise the vehicle high enough to get them under the vehicle. And I typically use wheel chocks, as opposed to either "park" or the parking brake. First off, the parking brake can typically not be used to even check the brakes on the axle that has the parking brake. Secondly, going beyond just brakes, say checking some powertrain components, you may want the transmission in neutral, so I think that it's a good idea to get into the habit of using chocks.

Old 05-25-15, 07:59 AM
Yes, I am a lawyer in Detroit, believe it or not. I was only book smart.

Old 05-25-15, 08:05 AM
All right, so maybe my question wasn't so dumb after all. I am going to try to synthesize the recommendations given in this thread:

1. Trolley jack to lift up car

2. Slip jack stands under each side of the front of the car at the right point

3. Put trolleyback up under car at a different jack point for added security

The link that tow guy provided, http://www.amazon.com/Torin-T82001S-...s=trolley+jack, seems to provide both the trolly and jack stands I'll need to do this.

So, is that right?

Thanks again.

Old 05-25-15, 12:15 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
There shouldn't be any need to put the jack back under the car, jack stands if placed correctly should solidly hold up the car. Sometimes I'll leave the jack under the car if it's not in the way ..... probably because I'm a little lazy

Old 05-25-15, 09:07 PM
Wow! Takes a lot of confidence to do that. We'll see how it goes.

Old 05-26-15, 04:07 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
The whole point of using jack stands is they are safer than the jack! You do need to make sure they have a solid base to set on and good placement at the top. It's not uncommon on long running projects to leave a vehicle on jack stands for an extended period of time.

Old 05-26-15, 04:19 AM
Group Moderator
Alternatively, when doing front brakes you can do one side at a time rather than jacking and supporting both sides before starting.

Old 05-26-15, 05:12 AM
I've accumulated chunks of 6" X 6" timber (among other sizes) that allow me to construct ad hoc supports for different projects (like from my Log Cabin/Erector Set days).

I do have fancy-schmancy jack stands; but they never seem to have the same utility as those old chunks of wood !

Old 05-26-15, 12:11 PM
I might get some wood for jobs where I have to jack both sides up. I'll stick the wood under the car as a fail-safe.

If I do brakes, I'll do one side at a time.

If I do the radiator or oil, I'll do both sides in the front.

I'll never use the floor jack alone, unless perhaps to just change a tire.

Search this Thread