2003 Malibu radiator fans not coming on

Old 05-29-15, 08:41 AM
2003 Malibu radiator fans not coming on

I have a 2003 Malibu, 150k, v6, 3.1 auto, a/c (not working). Car gets hot (but never more than 7 out of 10 on heat scale and coolant escapes from overflow tank because fans do not come on (almost a gallon at a time). Temp gauge on dash seems to reflect accurate temps. Two questions:

If I can't do a real fix for my radiator fans (see below), if I rig a by-pass and directly turn on the radiator fans (through a thermo-switch), will this give me other problems or computer error codes? Right now only codes set are cat. not at high efficiency - which pre-dates this issue. This is most important question as except for a temp sensor, I don't plan spending a lot of money to fix this problem.

Radiator fans won't come on when hot. They will come on if I turn on the a/c for a second and then turn a/c off (a/c clutch blows fuse if left on for more than a second). When turned on this way, fans do stay on even after a/c is off and even if a/c clutch blows fuse. If I disconnect a/c clutch or the a/c clutch relay (to keep the a/c clutch from blowing the fuse) or if the fuse has already blown, then turning on the a/c won't turn on the fans when I turn on the a/c. Nothing seems to turn on the fans due to the heat. Since the temp gauge seems to be working fine I don't really think it is the temp sensor (but I will replace anyway). Could it be the temp sensor even with temp gauge working fine? Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-04-15, 08:34 AM
update

Update - I replaced the Coolant Temp Sender with no change. Fans won't come on under heat but will if a/c is plugged in and works (but a/c blows fuse within seconds so this is no real solution). So - I see in the electrical schematic that the CTS/cooling circuit runs through the computer - if I disconnect the fans from the cooling circuit (and hook them up to a thermo switch) will this set a computer code error? Also, is there anyway to disconnect the a/c clutch (so it won't blow fuse) and yet still have the fans come on when I turn on the a/c switch. I've already tried the a/c relay and disconnected the actual a/c clutch and when I do, then the fans won't come on if a/c tuned on.