Cruise Control - 2015 Chevy Sonic 1.8 L Automatic Transmission

Old 05-31-15, 09:47 AM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cruise Control - 2015 Chevy Sonic 1.8 L Automatic Transmission

Looking for information and recommendations for an after market cruise control for this car .

Thanks , :-)
Wyr
God bless

Old 05-31-15, 10:37 AM
S
Doesn't Chevy offer an add-on unit? I wouldn't want an after market unit on my new car.

Old 06-01-15, 04:39 AM
W
Just curious , why not ?

I bought this model of car because of price . Very good chance I will do the same thing concerning cruise control .

Sent an email to our car salesman asking how much his service department would charge to install one . Hope to hear back from him today or tomorrow .

God bless
Wyr

Old 06-01-15, 09:27 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,509 Votes on 1,396 Posts
You won't find many aftermarket companies around anymore for cruise control. In the link below is one available kit. Installation video shows you the work involved.

Good thing now is no mechanical connections or moving parts.... everything is electronic.
Looks like 2012-2015 is the same kit.

chevrolet/all-vehicles-nav/cars/2015-sonic/accessories
Amazon.com: 2012-2014 Chevrolet Sonic OEM Cruise Control Add on Kit by Chevrolet 95142787

2012-2015 Chevy Sonic Complete Cruise Control for Auto Transmission

Old 06-01-15, 10:17 AM
S
Everything is so integrated in today's cars it is difficult to add anything for fear of difficult electronic complications. Wasn't cruise control offered on this car? Get a Chevrolet offered unit if available.

Old 06-02-15, 02:47 AM
W
Chevy apparently lists a kit , GM part # 95142787 . It is more expensive than after market , plus I read a GM dealer must reprogram the car electronics to recognize that is has been installed ?

No Idea what that would cost ?

I have ordered Rostra 250-9618 kit .

Yes , cruise control was an option . I bought a car that had been on the lot for over 200 days , at a very good discount .

Being a dummy , I thought it already had cruise control . Did not discover it did not until part way through my wife driving it home .

God bless
Wyr

Old 06-02-15, 03:46 AM
Group Moderator
Received 67 Votes on 56 Posts
Pretty extensive thread on the topic here:

Add Cruise Control? - Chevy Sonic Owners Forum

Coincidentally, our daughter moved up to a newer car this year, a 2009 Corolla. It also does not have cruise (we knew that) and from reading stuff on line it appears to be plug and play on the Toyotas. She says she's been driving cars without cruise for 10 years, so doesn't miss it not having it anyway.

Old 06-03-15, 01:35 AM
W
Thank you , :-)
God bless
Wyr

Old 06-07-15, 09:56 PM
W
I installed the after market Cruse Control last Thursday .

It was pretty much plug and play .

Seems to work fine . :-)

God bless
Wyr

Old 06-08-15, 12:31 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,509 Votes on 1,396 Posts
The Rostra kit. Great news.

Old 06-13-15, 02:53 AM
W
All the parts and cables are located inside the " cabin " . Did not need to penetrate the fire wall or locate anything inside the engine compartment .

Hardest part was deciding where the control " stalk " should be located on the plastic surrounding the steering console . Did not get it perfect . Could probably take those plastic parts off and get the " stalk " at a different angle ( it has " angle wedges " ) . Using the same hole , that I drilled .

May do this some time in the future . Or maybe not .

The cable from the " stalk " terminates in 6 " pins " 3 are inserted into a black connector & 3 inserted in a white connector . In the proper order . The instructions show this pretty well . Which color to match with which colors . There is a corresponding black and white connector on another cable / harness , that plugs into the controller box .

The instructions say to hook all the cables up and test drive the car with the cruise control , before drilling the hole and physically installing the " stalk " . This sounds like a good idea . Except , it turns out you have to push those 6 pins out of their 2 connectors , in order to install the stalk , nuts , washers , wedges and cable through the hole you have just drilled . This is a pain pushing the pins out , they are designed to lock into place when you push them in all the way into the connectors .

I think the instructions should address this .

But when finished , the cruise control seems to work well . :-)

God bless
Wyr

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: